Bare Root Roses

Nancy FryhoverApril 26, 2011

I want to plant some climbing roses around my house and have been watching for those bare rooted ones wrapped in plastic on displays at stores. Usually everyone has them but I only saw one small display at Home Depot and not the climbers I want. Has anyone seen any in the S.Okc, Moore, norman area?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Okiedawn OK Zone 7

Momfryhover,

I think it may be too late for you to find any fresh, healthy bare-root roses this spring.

Down here in southern Oklahoma, the bare root roses are in the stores in January and February. By March they're all gone---and for a good reason---they need to be planted in winter to give them time to make enough good root growth to sustain them through our hot summers. Bare-rooted plants usually are planted during the dormant season, and the dormant season is long gone.

By late Feb. and early March here, the containerized roses are arriving to replace the bare-root ones. I'd be somewhat leery of any bare-root ones still in the stores this late in the year because they've likely been held in their packaging too long. At this point I wouldn't buy them unless they are showing some sign of leafing out...like tiny leaves coming out on the branches, for example.

Dawn

Bookmark   April 26, 2011 at 4:19PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Pallida(Zone 7b)

Momfryhover,
considering you are asking about S. OKC, Moore and Norman, I am assuming you're in Zone 7. I agree wholeheartedly with Dawn. It is way too late for bare root roses in your area. You should be able to find container climbing roses at Lowe's, Home Depot, Wal Mart or any number of reputable nurseries in the OKC area. Marcum's at exit 104 off I-35 usually has nice roses. You should be seeing old tried and true roses such as Don Juan (red); Joseph's Coat (red, yellow, orange blend); climbing Queen Elizabeth (pink) (not a real big bloomer, sometimes); Golden Showers (yellow); climbing Iceberg (white), etc. You know, of course, that there is no such thing as a "climbing" rose. They have nothing to "climb" with, such as tendrils or sucker roots. They are just very tall, pillar type roses that have to be tied and trained to whatever structure you are planning on covering. Good luck on finding just what you want. Roses are my favorite flower.

Jeanie

Bookmark   April 26, 2011 at 7:32PM
More Discussions
Thyme (common) Slaughter
I'm getting ready to kill it. It is up about 1/2"...
chickencoupe
Gardenia and Peace Lily Zone 7
Hi All. My daughter died recently and we received...
realtrrldy
Growing cilantro in the summer
I started some cilantro from seed so I can have it...
Cynthiann
Purchased comppost and soil.
Somewhere recently I read a post that had a phone number...
AmyinOwasso/zone 6b
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™