Had to induce sleep for Sleeping Beauty

Babka NorCal 9bDecember 18, 2012

With a name like Sleeping Beauty, you would think she would know how to do it herself, but she wouldn't go to sleep on her own this year. So, today, (Dec 18) I lopped off her last 6-8 partially yellowed leaves and tucked her in bed with the other pots. After all, she needs her 6 weeks of beauty sleep!

She was my last one standing this year. Now I can concentrate on Christmas. Good.

-Babka

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tsugajunkie z5 SE WI

So do you have a hosta 'Prince of Wales' to kiss her and wake her up in spring?

tj

Bookmark   December 18, 2012 at 9:48PM
Babka NorCal 9b

Good one, tj! No 'Prince of Wales' here...so perhaps a smootch from a 'Blue Baron' will do the trick.

-Babka

Bookmark   December 19, 2012 at 1:35PM
Moccasin(z9aMobileAL)

Awwww, Babka, put a Sharp Dressed Man in there, that will bring her back alive come spring.

I have several hosta that need forcing into retirement too, I suppose they've had enough time to grow roots, and now I need a break too. Every day, I've pulled dead leaves off the hosta until my compost pile is rather full of them. Some of the plantaginea family are the last to go to sleep.

Bookmark   December 21, 2012 at 9:33PM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

hey babs.. MERRY CHRISTMAS ...

is there any reason to think.. that perhaps some level of over-fert may have led to its lack of sleep.. sorta like the old days when i was a teen .. when i would drink a big pepsi in late evening ... and then lay there twitching in bed for hours.. wondering why i couldnt fall asleep??

can you ID any reason why this one did NOT want to go dormant???

there might be a species reason.. in its dna.. but there should really be a 'cultivar' reason ... though i am too lazy to look up the cross on this one ...

HAPPY NEW YEAR TOO!!!!

ken

Bookmark   December 23, 2012 at 9:10AM
Moccasin(z9aMobileAL)

MyHOSTAS.BE says Sleeping Beauty is a sport of Halcyon, from Walters.

There are a few hangers on around my garden too, but I tipped them leaves and all. Guess I should go cut the green ones off.

It feels cold to me, but the hosta which arrived almost dormant in October are acting like it is not wintertime at all. Particularly, Harry Van De Laar. It has tender new leaves on it, and red/purple petioles, don't quite know what to do with it....leave it alone, or cut it down.

Bookmark   December 23, 2012 at 4:13PM
Babka NorCal 9b

A good thought, Ken, but she wasn't any more "juiced" than all the others. Our weather was just beginning to get cold. The day after I put her to bed, we had night-time temps hovering in the low 30's, so I just hastened the inevitable by sending her to bed before she wanted to go. She was already more than half un-dressed, so to speak.

That whole Halcyon family is a sturdy group that likes to hang around partying late in the season. Always the last to call it a night (year).

...and now back to the Bailey's Irish Cream.

-Babka

Bookmark   December 23, 2012 at 6:18PM
bkay2000(8a TX)

Wow, I haven't had Bailey's in years. It's soooo good. I think I'll buy some Monday. Thanks for reminding me.

bkay

Bookmark   December 29, 2012 at 8:06PM
Babka NorCal 9b

OH YES!!!!!!

-Babka

Bookmark   December 29, 2012 at 11:08PM
More Discussions
info on spam
anyone know where to find the rules for spam are in...
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
NH hostas here
Doesn't look like much but in a month it will. Excited...
ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
New pictures
For anyone interested in going over to Hallsons gardens...
almosthooked
What have we ordered?
So far I have gotten a few new ones. What have you...
ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
New arrivals
It dawned mild and sunny here in Wales today. The postman...
tiddisolo z8 Wales UK
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™