Balancing minerals for organic lawn transition

KathleenMillarMarch 30, 2014

Hi All,
I've been really impressed with the quality of info provided on this site and was hoping for some opinions of how to help a client transitioning to organic lawn maintenance. He's been at it for one season and as you can see from the soil test result, was using a lot of dolomitic lime. He's stopped that now and asked me to do an analysis and recommendations for the mineral content and balance in his soil. Based on the Logan lab results here is some advice I've received so far with the intention of being cost conscious:

Just apply amounts for 3", not 6"
In descending order I should address:

Calcium (which is actually sufficient)
Potassium (which is low but this client plans to do a core aeration and an application of compost so K may be available there)
Phosphorus (address with CalPhos application)
Sulfur (address with gypsum or as by product of sulfate applications)
Manganese (apply manganese sulfate at 20lb/ac)
Zinc (apply application limit at zinc sulfate 14 lb/ac)
Cu (address with liquid copper chelate)
Any other suggestions or perhaps a way to streamline and thus decrease the cost? As I said, this client is planning to core aerate and do a compost application when he will also apply mycorrhizal fungi.
Thanks in advance for any help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

Given the numbers I see there is no reason to add anything. There is adequate amounts of organic matter (9.89 %) as well as most everything except P.
For drought protection I would want the soil depth to be 6 inches, not 3.
Why does this soil need aeration? Given the amount of organic matter the Soil Food Web should be keeping that soil well aerated, unless something was done to the soil that killed them off.
Will this person be adding fungi that will work with grasses or trees or flowers? Mycorrhiza, myco = fungus and rhiza - roots, refers more to a mutually beneficial relationship some species of fungi form with plants and different fungi develop that relationship with different plants so the fungi that form a symbiotic relationship with trees will not do so with grasses.
Get the soil into a good healthy condition and the fungi will be there without spending money on "magic elixirs" that most likely are not what you want.

Bookmark   March 31, 2014 at 7:07AM
More Discussions
Questions about overseeding
Hi all, soon I will be overseeding my Tall Fescue with...
oberci
DC Please Post Your Organic Lawn FAQs
I am considering going to organic fertilizers, DC could...
claga
PLEASE HELP - identify this weed
Hello all, I live in North Texas and just started organic...
steelerdan
Helping neglected lawn recover
Hi We bought our house last winter. It was a rental...
NVL4
Thatch Problem // Missing Opportunity to Aerate
I live in zone 5b and have approximately 1" of...
claga
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™