Canna care in south western CT

javaandjazz(z6 CT)October 4, 2009

Hello everyone,

I grew some cannas in a container this year. Do I let the frost knock them down and just store the planter with the rhizomes and dirt in my basement? I just read some info on a site and it sounded like they said to do that. Thanks, Richie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bill_ri_z6b(Zone 6B)

Hi Richie,
I do that with my cannas and my callas and gingers too. I find a cool place and only water slightly to keep the soil from getting really dry. The idea is to keep them alive but to discourage sprouting as long as possible (hopefully until spring!) When I do put them out, I top dress the soil and start feeding again. If I have to repot I do that in warm weather and they grow right into the new pot.

A lot of people take them out of the pots and wash off the roots and tubers, storing them dry. That also works, but seems to be a lot of unnecessary work to me.

Bill

Bookmark   October 5, 2009 at 9:13AM
javaandjazz(z6 CT)

Thanks Bill. Much easier that way. I am trying the basement with several plants this year.

Bookmark   October 5, 2009 at 3:17PM
bill_ri_z6b(Zone 6B)

Richie, after a frost kills the tops, I let them stay out a couple of days (unless it's going to get really cold - you don't want the roots to freeze!) and let the juices flow back to the tubers to plump them. The I trim off the dead leaves and stems and bring them into the coolest part of the basement. They've been around for several years with this treatment. I got brave and divided one of the gingers and planted part of it in the ground this year. I'm going to use mulch and a "Hail Mary" to see if it makes it!

Bookmark   October 6, 2009 at 3:30AM
javaandjazz(z6 CT)

Thanks again for your help Bill!!

Bookmark   October 6, 2009 at 4:09AM
jpressed

Do you think it would also work with elephant ears??

Bookmark   October 27, 2009 at 2:25PM
bill_ri_z6b(Zone 6B)

I don't see why it wouldn't work for Elephant Ears as well. Further south where they can be left in the ground all year they go dormant after a freeze just like cannas. All you're really doing is bringing a little piece of the "ground" (in the pot) indoors.

Bookmark   October 29, 2009 at 9:21AM
More Discussions
How do I add a zone to my user name?
I've been trying to edit my profile in "Your Houzz"...
claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
2015 Seeds & Plants on Sale, Locally? Online Catalog Sales?
I am starting a new sale thread for 2015 so it will...
NHBabs z4b-5a NH
Winter weather in the kitchen - 2015 edition
This is the official thread to talk about (complain?)...
pixie_lou
Deer resistant evergreen shrub
Was wondering if you have any suggestions for an evergreen...
BloominOnion
Seeds & Plants on Sale, Locally? Online Catalog Sales?
Finally starting to feel like the growing season is...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™