Scotts organic as a winterizer

rutgers1(6NJ)March 25, 2008

Did anyone else use the Scotts Organic Choice Lawn Food as a winterizer?

I live in one of those developments where you can pass about 100 houses in about 15 seconds of driving, and I have been amazed by my spring greenup compared to other lawns. I would say that 90% have services taking care of them, so it isn't like they are neglected. My winterizing consisted of mulching up a lot of leaves with my mower and applying the Scotts.

Anyone else? And if you didn't, I would love to see some people give it a shot this year and let us know how it worked in the spring.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
morpheuspa

No, I used Scott's Winterizer. Greenup is slow this year, but I expected that on a first year lawn, and the weather here hasn't been cooperating very well.

With where you are and your earlier photo, I'm impressed enough that I'm giving it a try this year. Warranted, second year greenup will be a bit earlier and faster as well.

Bookmark   March 26, 2008 at 7:10AM
decklap(5IL)

My home lawn has been organic for 7 years now and Im always the first to green up regardless of which fert I've used and I've used a lot. Restore, Cock-a-doodle-do, Milorganite, Scotts, and SBM.

I'd say mulching those leaves into the soil is probably helping at least as much as the winter fert. When the soil warms and the little beasties can start processing that organic matter you're going to get a nice green up.

Bookmark   March 26, 2008 at 9:06AM
rutgers1(6NJ)

decklap, great to hear. My uncle is the first to green up on his block, using only cockadoodledoo.

Bookmark   March 26, 2008 at 5:37PM
garett

what is suppose to be so special about scotts winterizer?

Bookmark   March 26, 2008 at 5:53PM
decklap(5IL)

Nothing other than an insanely high percentage of nitrogen. I'd suspect any number of other products work about the same

Bookmark   March 26, 2008 at 6:25PM
lou_midlothian_tx(z8 DFW, Tx)

it's only percentage. It just means you can cover more area with less bulk. It also matters what is it in the product. If I recall, Scotts organic contain feather meal, blood meal, meat meal to name a few and feather meal and blood meal contain the highest percentage of protein by weight. Feather meal breaks down very slowly. Blood meal works extremely fast. No idea on meat meal since there doesn't seem to be much info about it as fertilizer.

Bookmark   March 26, 2008 at 8:43PM
m1shmosh

Fertilizer is only one factor in spring greenup. I think more importantly is what types of grass you have. For example, Midnight-type KBG's are known for very long winter dormancy and late spring greenup. Other cultivars are known for much better winter color retention and performance. I don't expect to see my lawn (Midnight and Compact-type cultivars) "waking up" until late april, no matter what winterizer was put down. My lawn is one of the last to greenup but I've learned to accept this.

Bookmark   March 26, 2008 at 8:43PM
garett

well that actually sounds like a decent product. something to react quickly, like the chemicals, and at the same time getting some long term action, like grains.

Bookmark   March 27, 2008 at 1:47AM
dchall_san_antonio(8 San Antonio)

Another factor in spring green up is moisture. Did you water more or less than the neighbors over the past few weeks? It could be the organic fert resulted in a better water holding capacity?????

Bookmark   March 27, 2008 at 12:40PM
rutgers1(6NJ)

I don't water yet. I don't start until it gets much warmer. It is still cold here. I am about as far north as you can get in New Jersey.

Bookmark   March 27, 2008 at 4:29PM
m1shmosh

I don't think I've every needed to water in the spring. Mother Nature does all the work. It takes a good while just to even dry out from winter thaws.

Bookmark   March 27, 2008 at 8:15PM
rdak(z5MI)

Me either shmosh! Springs in Michigan are usually VERY wet! LOL!!

Interesting info. on Scotts Winterizer, never heard of it.

Thanks for the info.

Bookmark   April 6, 2008 at 8:47AM
More Discussions
Basic Outline to Follow for Organic Lawn Care
I have made earlier post describing the problems I...
claga
Helping neglected lawn recover
Hi We bought our house last winter. It was a rental...
NVL4
High % OM & Compaction/Hydrotropic
My front & back lawn have been 100% organic for...
sc77
Best Organic Weed Control Ideas?
Hello, I am doing a project in which the objective...
Tigger033
overseeding help !
Hi All, I have a 5000 sft lawn with tall fescue, in...
gmanar
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™