new

JANE100(WNYZ6)December 29, 2013

Hi everyone. Been following all of you on the forum since early summer. You got me so enthused, and informed about hostas,I joined the WNY Hosta Society a couple of months ago. Never knew there was so much to learn and know about hostas. You have ENABLED me!!!
Don't have many hostas in the ground yet, about 16, but have about 30 in pots in the garage to plant or pot up in the spring. Small city lot about 30 X 140 ft. incl. house & garage. New bed under construction for the spring will be 8x20, between 2 garages , mine & a neighbors. Have beds on 3 sides of the yard about 3 ft. deep with ferns, astilbes, heucheras, and clematis. Gave away lots of other plants to friends and family to make room for the hostas.
This summer I just put in a hosta garden at the SPCA where I've been doing gardening and landscaping for 22 yrs. About 60 plants mostly starters but dug up and divided some Guacamole and So Sweet from my yard. Hope they all make it thru the winter. Well, just wanted to introduce myself to you since I feel I've known you for a long time already. Really enjoy all the topics you discuss like the Alphabet and the poetry.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
zkathy(7a NC)

Welcome, Jane100. This is a great bunch of friendly and well-informed (large collective database here) and generous people. They've been exceedingly kind to this newbie, and I'm sure they will be to you. Again, welcome!
Kathy

Bookmark   December 29, 2013 at 10:03PM
don_in_colorado

Hello Jane, and welcome to the forum! Glad to have you here, happy to have helped enable you. : ) Also, congratulations on joining the WNY Hosta Society.

Can't wait for spring, how bout you??

Regards,
Don B.

This post was edited by Don_in_Colorado on Sun, Dec 29, 13 at 22:28

Bookmark   December 29, 2013 at 10:17PM
rosie742001(z5Oregon)

Great people these gardners, but be warned,they do enable you and seem to get great joy in doing so. but they do help you learn.which is good!! We are all looking toward Spring already.

Bookmark   December 29, 2013 at 11:29PM
Steve Massachusetts Zone 5b

Welcome, Jane. I'm glad to see that you are supporting your local Hosta society. For those of you who aren't members of a local Hosta society, it's a great deal. Here in New England dues are $10 a year or $25 for 3 years. Meetings are quarterly. Usually there is an educational event or even better a garden visit that is combined with meetings. The people are terrific and the gardens you get to visit are often spectacular. Likely there is one near you. New York alone, has 4 different Hosta Societies. Yes, Moccasin, Alabama has two. Here's the link for one near you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Local Hosta Societies near you

Bookmark   December 30, 2013 at 6:59AM
bkay2000(8a TX)

Welcome, Jane.

bk

Bookmark   December 30, 2013 at 10:09AM
newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada

Hi Jane100. Glad to have you join us. Sounds like you will fit right in. Good luck with your new gardens. Hope to see pictures of your hostas this year. You are off to a great start!

Bookmark   December 30, 2013 at 10:09AM
jan_on zone 5b

Hi Jane---welcome to the forum. Like you, I started reading here, and learning, and being entertained before I had the courage to post. Newcomers are warmly welcomed and given a dangerous amount of encouragement! You will be making wish lists as the 'alphabet' continues I'm sure. Great that you garden at the SPCA where the results of your efforts are no doubt enjoyed by many.
Jan

Bookmark   December 30, 2013 at 11:30AM
josephines123 z5 ON Canada

WELCOME to the Hosta forum, Jane! So glad you took the plunge and joined in. I joined this past June after a week of lurking and reading and have enjoyed myself immensely!

Uh oh, you mentioned two very popular hosta...Guacamole and So Sweet.
Don in Colorado is crazy about G..he enabled me (and continues to hook a lot of us in, in his quest for more Hosta) ...wait till he starts again in spring...I live vicariously through his orders alone, never mind the rest of the gang's. LOL. Bkay has the most gorgeous SS and whose picture is on the Hosta Library. It is the indescribably gorgeous one, the last one with the dark background.

Let us know what hosta you have sometime when you're so inclined...we all love pics, as you've no doubt discovered, another really loud LOL.

Looking forward to your posts. :-)

Jo

Bookmark   December 30, 2013 at 3:34PM
mikgag Z5b NS Canada

Welcome.

Hope you haven't taken out a 2nd mortgage in a while....it's like Beanie-Babies x 10. Look forward to pics and ask us anything, we don't bite...

Bookmark   December 30, 2013 at 4:48PM
beverlymnz4

Welcome to the fun. This will get you through the winter and then some.
Beverly

Bookmark   December 30, 2013 at 5:59PM
leafwatcher(zone 5)

I think we should all guess what the 100 in Janes name means...I think she plans on 100 types by the end of the first year.

Bookmark   December 31, 2013 at 12:21AM
don_in_colorado

Wow, it's a long drive to Wichita. : (

Don B.

Bookmark   December 31, 2013 at 1:32AM
Steve Massachusetts Zone 5b

I know, Don. What's up with the western states? Even states like Washington and Oregon, which are great Hosta growing areas, have no local society. You should start one.

Steve

Bookmark   December 31, 2013 at 8:19AM
hostafreak

Welcome Jane! I am in western NC,in the mountains. You have embarked on a journey that we will enable,every chance we get! Lol! Phil

Bookmark   December 31, 2013 at 9:00AM
DelawareDonna(7A)

Hi Jane - Welcome! Your joining a great groups of hostaphobics!

Donna

Bookmark   December 31, 2013 at 12:59PM
bernd ny zone5

Local hosta societies have hosta sales with reasonable prices. We here in Eastern NY have one sale of recent introductions for members in May. Another sale is in August for the public at a local nursery where we sell divisions of our own hostas to raise funds. Bernd

Bookmark   January 1, 2014 at 10:31AM
don_in_colorado

That's a great idea, Steve. I kinda feel compelled to do so.

Don B.

Bookmark   January 3, 2014 at 1:57AM
More Discussions
Hi, guys!
I’ve been reading the hosta forum for a couple of...
jajoana
22 degrees Fahrenheit Saturday night predicted!
I spent three hours covering hostas when I got home...
zkathy
Who's going to the Annual AHS convention in Raleigh?
I live about an hour and a half west of Raleigh. Anybody...
zkathy
They are 'eyes' not pips
It is racist to use the word 'pips' I am told … dave...
bragu_DSM 5
YEA PIPS!!!!!!
Oh, wait a minute, those are tulips. : {
Jon 6a SE MA
Sponsored Products
31 Inch Grey Oak Bathroom Vanity Set
TheBathOutlet
Marina 7 Piece Outdoor Patio Teak Sofa Set in Natural White
$2,061.00 | LexMod
Safavieh Area Rug: Anatolia Sage/Sage 4' x 6'
Home Depot
Lucy Rug 8' x 11' - TAUPE