Uncle Ruslan

david52 Zone 6April 25, 2013

At the link is an article recounting the press Interview the the bombers' Uncle -

snip - âÂÂWe are Muslims,â he answered clearly and steely-eyed. âÂÂWe are Chechnyans. We are ethnic Chechnyans.âÂÂ

Had the boys gotten radicalized, I wondered. The stories of so many - from Richard Reid, the âÂÂshoebomber,â to Faisal Shahzad, the alleged Time Square bomber--have included radicalization. The Boston area mosques havenâÂÂt been immune. âÂÂDo you think that they got radicalized in the mosques in that area?â I asked.

What I heard I couldnâÂÂt believe, IâÂÂve become so used to the tactics of deflection. He looked me straight in the eye, and he said, âÂÂâ¦most likely somebody radicalized them. But itâÂÂs not my brother, who just moved back to Russia, who spent his life bringing bread to their table, fixing cars, fixing cars.âÂÂ

What happened when this Muslim American looked us in the eye and admitted the problem?

-snip-

The uncle stunned seasoned reporters, some of them veterans of the trials in Guantanamo Bay and the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, with his straight talk. First, he expressed his condolences to the victims of the Boston Marathon bombings and, then, declared loud and clear that his nephews brought âÂÂshameâ on his family and the people of Chechnya, the familyâÂÂs ethnicity: âÂÂYes, of course, weâÂÂre ashamed. WeâÂÂre ashamed. TheyâÂÂre children of my brother, who had little influence of them!âÂÂ

snip - end quote

Worth reading

Here is a link that might be useful: link

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jodik_gw

I think it's time to admit that beyond any one religion, there is a problem of extremism, of mixing religion with hatred and bigotry of other religions or other peoples.

The words "holy war" have always been a mind boggling combination. If religion is about loving thy neighbor, then why are people warring over who's religion is better, or trying to change everyone else around them without looking closely within?

Live... and let live.

Bookmark   April 25, 2013 at 11:29AM
momj47(7A)

I read the article this morning, he's terrific. I saw the interview on Monday, he was certainly angry with his nephews.

Bookmark   April 25, 2013 at 6:52PM
pnbrown

If everyone was like this guy there would be little strife in the world. Also if boys could skip over being age 15-25 so they were less manipulable and impressionable.

Bookmark   April 25, 2013 at 8:08PM
maggie2094

Please hand him over to his uncle. My guess is he would receive fitting punishment.

Bookmark   April 25, 2013 at 9:06PM
fancifowl(5Pa)

who is warring over religion, Muslim and???

Bookmark   April 25, 2013 at 9:16PM
lily316(z5PA)

Too bad uncle didn't have more influence on the killers. I kinda sensed their father was more subdued than the mother.

Bookmark   April 26, 2013 at 3:30AM
jodik_gw

There have been "holy wars" throughout history, fancifowl... that's what I meant.

Instead of denying we have social issues, regardless the culture, we have to pay more attention to family, to teaching our youth, to giving them good examples to live by.

It seems to me that much of today's youth are raising themselves, or being taught through peer group examples, not always so good. It's a time when youth needs direction and examples... through family, and not through those who would corrupt them.

I don't really have the right words to explain what I mean right now... it's too early for me...

I hear this Uncle, though, I think... and I agree.

If I understand it right, it's not about religion... it's about attitude and anger, and about teaching values... real values... about loving thy neighbor and helping them, and admitting our problems and mistakes...

We have the same problems here... we have gangs, we have misguided youth... there's little respect for one another...

Bookmark   April 26, 2013 at 5:56AM
ohiomom

From the link: "And there was his color too"

.....yes there was certainly that, and if the bombers had been from the middle east, I am also sure the response to the uncle in some quarters would be entirely different and since I haven't bothered to look may very well be the case.

But it sure does help "uncle" that ya' look like us ....

Bookmark   April 26, 2013 at 6:51AM
PRO
Brushworks Spectacular Finishes(5)

If I understand it right, it's not about religion... it's about attitude and anger, and about teaching values... real values... about loving thy neighbor and helping them, and admitting our problems and mistakes...

Yea...and about human dignity...and...that every human being should be acknowledged as an inherently valuable member of the human community and as a unique expression of life,

That kind of living leaves no room for jealousy, suspicion, hatred...and...but here we are two centuries+ as a country and we have steadily reversed the original ideals of this great nation...we should weep, not wave a flag.

Bookmark   April 26, 2013 at 7:15AM
lionheart_gw

"If everyone was like this guy there would be little strife in the world. Also if boys could skip over being age 15-25 so they were less manipulable and impressionable."

Agreed. The most dangerous animals are adolescent males (and I consider people adolescents until at least age 23). Impressionable personalities, combined with large doses of testosterone and a malleable, warped moral code, create volatile and dangerous people.

I like Uncle Ruslan. I saw his interview. He should run for office. Ok, that might be over the top, but he is a straight shooter.

Bookmark   April 26, 2013 at 10:32AM
woodnymph2_gw

The uncle is the role-model the boys should have followed. I saw an interview with the boys' parents on TV and the mother was blaming "America" for not keeping her children safe. As if they were corrupted here in the USA and not when the eldest returned to Russia.

Bookmark   April 26, 2013 at 1:18PM
More Discussions
As Goes California, So Goes the Nation?
Public Policy Institute of California: Press Release "Record-High...
nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10
Donald Trump to launch exploratory committee
because... "the only one who can make America...
duluthinbloomz4
Indiana - just plain old discrimination
Indiana House OKs controversial religious freedom bill And...
momj47
Supremes Uphold Voter ID Law
The Supreme Court let stand a 7th Circuit Court ruling...
Christopher_H
Sponsored Products
Uncle Jimmys Squeezy Buns - 84024
$12.99 | Hayneedle
Brass Base White Ceramic Table Lamps Parrot
ParrotUncle
Fashion Style Glass Base Living Room Table Lamp
ParrotUncle
Indoor Home Lighting Beige Shade Wood Beside Desk Lamp
ParrotUncle
Contemporary LED Bathroom Mirror Light Fixture 3 Lights Vanity
ParrotUncle