Would you use this Molasses?

skoot_catApril 17, 2008

I went to my local feed dealer to buy liquid molasses @ $3.00 a gallon. When I got there I looked at the ingredients, and to my surprise it had quite a few. Below is the list of ingredients as listed on the label.

Ingredients:

Cane Molasses

Phosphoric Acid

Vegetable Oil

Lecithin

Propionic Acid

Sulfuric Acid

I was planing on applying it @ 2-4oz per gallon to cover 1000sqft on sandy soil.

Would you guys use this on your organic lawn?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dchall_san_antonio(8 San Antonio)

I would and I have. The results were invisible if any, but other people who I respect swear by the stuff.

Bookmark   April 17, 2008 at 10:35AM
Gags

Aren't you supposed to use un-sulphured molasses? I thought the sulfuric acid had a negative effect on the microbes. Unless I have it backwards, and it should be sulphured (sp?) molasses.

Anyone know where the other ingredients come from? (Phosphoric acid, Lecithin, Propionic acid) - and why they're added? I'm assuming vegetable oil is to help it "flow".

Thanks,

Gags

Bookmark   April 17, 2008 at 11:03AM
decklap(5IL)

Agree with gags. Its been my understanding for years that unsulphured shows better results under the microscope in teas so I've always assumed the same would be true in soil. I don't think in and of itself that it'll work miracles on sandy soil. I have used feed grade dry molasses in tea and broadcast with good but anecdotal results.

Bookmark   April 17, 2008 at 8:18PM
dchall_san_antonio(8 San Antonio)

All true as far as I know. Maybe that's why the performance on my yard has been invisible.

Bookmark   April 18, 2008 at 12:17AM
rdak(z5MI)

I get deer molasses from the feed store for $4.00 per gallon. (I assume this is the final boil, or blackstrap molasses type[?], whether it is unsulphured or not, I have no idea.)

It must be good stuff because my aerated compost teas explode with bacterial growth when I use it.

Also use it mixed in a sprayer and the plants all show some benefit. Lawn gets greener, trees and shrubs get more growth, etc.

I've read it has a decent amount of potassium, iron and calcium.

It's so cheap for me that I've used it for decades. For me, it's good stuff IMHO.

Bookmark   April 18, 2008 at 7:59AM
rdak(z5MI)

Here's a pretty good article on molasses in the feed industry. (Decent tables of what is in it, etc.)

I assume the molasses I buy is from sugar beets because so much of that crop is grown in my region. It is lower in calcium and phosphorous but higher in potassium and sodium than cane molasses IIRC.

http://rcrec-ona.ifas.ufl.edu/mol.pdf

Also, note ALL molasses has some sulphur in it as part of the plant.

Bookmark   April 18, 2008 at 8:17AM
skoot_cat

Thanks everyone for the replies.

I did some research on some of those "other" ingredients and heres what I found: (below pertains to food uses)

Phosphoric Acid - It serves as an acidic, fruit-like flavoring in food products.

Lecithin - Regarded as a well-tolerated and non-toxic surfactant. Lecithin is an integral part of cell membranes, and can be totally metabolized.

Propionic Acid - Inhibits the growth of mold and some bacteria. As a result, most propionic acid produced is used as a preservative for both animal feed and food for human consumption, and can be used as a preservative for Ballistics Gel. It is also used to make pesticides and pharmaceuticals.

Sulfuric Acid - Sulfured molasses is made from young green sugar cane and is treated with sulfur dioxide, which acts as a preservative, during the sugar extraction process. Unsulfured molasses is made from mature sugar cane and does not require treatment with sulfur during the extraction process. There are three grades of molasses, Mild or first molasses, Dark or second molasses, and Black strap. These grades may be sulfured or unsulfured.

Needless to say, Im not going to use it.

Bookmark   April 18, 2008 at 8:25AM
More Discussions
Increasing height of celebration bermuda
Our lawn was sodded with bermuda celebration a bit...
trussin.22
Planting Clover Stolons (or Any Stolons Really)
Has anyone ever tried to transplant clover or a stoloniferous...
CPTK
Questions about overseeding
Hi all, soon I will be overseeding my Tall Fescue with...
oberci
Is It to Late in the to Apply Organic Fertilizers in Zone 5b
The condition of my lawn: The lawn is thick, but lacks...
claga
Thanks for the Great Looking Lawn! :D
Just wanted to say thanks to this group for the advice...
raymondo17
Sponsored Products
Hubbell NRG 42W Compact Fluorescent Outdoor Wallpack
LBC Lighting
32 Gal. Perforated Waste Receptacle
Fifthroom.com
Fanimation Crestford 52-inch Oil-Rubbed Bronze 3-light Ceiling Fan
Overstock.com
Couristan Kashimar Antique Nain Burgundy Oriental Rug Multicolor - 7886/1945-2.2
$299.00 | Hayneedle
Pool Ceiling Flush Mount / Pendant
Lightology
Side Door Oil Rubbed Bronze One-Light Outdoor Wall Mount
$29.80 | Bellacor
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™