Soybean meal, etc in SE PA?

seven333April 3, 2009

I called a feed store in Exton, PA and was told that soybean meal was $23 for a 50 pound bag...this seems high from what I've been reading here. Anyone in the area know of a good source of SBM or other grain for fertilizing? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
doopstr

Just paid $15 in Hillsborough NJ.

Bookmark   April 3, 2009 at 9:08PM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

Keep in mind that most of the soybeans grown in the USA today are the genetically engineered types unless you can find certified organic soybeans.

Bookmark   April 3, 2009 at 10:13PM
kelleynelson

Doop, I'm picking mine up from Belle Meade tomorrow AM :) They're nice folks.

Bookmark   April 4, 2009 at 12:29AM
doopstr

Agree, happy with their service. I was going to drop the SBM today but to windy. Tomorrow is looking good.

Bookmark   April 4, 2009 at 2:37PM
andy10917(NY 6a)

"Keep in mind that most of the soybeans grown in the USA today are the genetically engineered types unless you can find certified organic soybeans."

Why would that matter if it is being used for fertilizer? The genetic material will be completely lost as the product decomposes. I'd be way more concerned about the chemicals that were used when they were grown.

Bookmark   April 4, 2009 at 4:32PM
dchall_san_antonio(8 San Antonio)

Why would that matter if it is being used for fertilizer? The genetic material will be completely lost as the product decomposes.

When one species eats the protein from another species, the "predator" species decomposes the protein into amino acids and reuses the amino acids to make new proteins. With that in mind there are three theoretical issues that I think I know of. One is that the modified genes can be absorbed in their modified form by microbes and passed on through the soil food web to other plant species. Two is that the modified genes cannot be absorbed by the soil microbes and the microbes will get no nutrition out of them. Third is that the modified genes will be recombined into some mutant proteins that are ultimately a hazard of some kind. Whether these are real issues or not I can't tell you. There may be more issues that I'm not aware of.

Bookmark   April 6, 2009 at 2:29AM
seven333

Thanks, guys...went to another feed store in Gap, PA and got a 50# bag for $15. I think the bag said Blue Star or something like that. They only had 1 in stock so I ordered 2 more. The manager said they've received quite a few requests so he's going to start carrying it in stock. Yay! One thing I noticed is that there was something else in the bag, almost like a dried molasses or something. Smelled sweet and was in lumps. Anyone seen this before?

Bookmark   April 6, 2009 at 8:56AM

One thing I noticed is that there was something else in the bag, almost like a dried molasses or something. Smelled sweet and was in lumps.

Reminds me of an old favorite joke for 4th graders: What's slimy and tastes like bananas? Monkey spit.

So did you taste the lumps in the bag?

It is probably a mass of insects and the resulting insect poop. You need to use that bag this summer and not store it any longer than is practical. That lump is still very good for the lawn. Just break it up first (wearing gloves would be a good suggestion).

Bookmark   April 6, 2009 at 3:34PM
seven333

I didn't think of insects but to me it didn't look that way. The pieces were flat, maybe 1/8th inch think and sheet-like. It smelled very sweet and was pliable. I'll take pictures if the bags I'm getting this weekend have any. I did break them up and place on the lawn...maybe I'll check if any survived the recent rains.

Bookmark   April 7, 2009 at 8:58AM

Look for a slight grayish discoloration. That's about the only visual clue.

Bookmark   April 7, 2009 at 1:20PM
More Discussions
Kimmsr...
Kimmsr, I should mention that I have an acre of lawn...
Aggranduser
Is It to Late in the to Apply Organic Fertilizers in Zone 5b
The condition of my lawn: The lawn is thick, but lacks...
claga
Weed identification
Hi All, Can some please help identify this weed ......
gmanar
Best Organic Weed Control Ideas?
Hello, I am doing a project in which the objective...
tigger033
snow mold
As the snow melted this spring snow mold appeared on...
kimmq
Sponsored Products
Early Bird Napkin Ring - Set of Four
$12.99 | zulily
Michael Graves Salt Castor by Alessi
$82.00 | Lumens
Silver Designer Wave Vertical Radiator Heater 63 x 18 With Free Valves
Hudson Reed
Spanish Olive Large Wooden Serving Tray
Classic Hostess
Harper modern sofa four-seater
Interior Define
Rite Lite 6 LED Wireless Under Cabinet Light, White LPL640W
$11.99 | Home Depot
AICO Furniture - Villagio 9 Piece Double Pedestal Rectangular...
Great Furniture Deal
Hamshire Round Dining Table 60 inch
Overstock.com
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™