Hollies with flies, wasps

greenman1976(7)April 13, 2014

I have some dwarf Burford hollies that are about 5 years old and are all full of what appear to be houseflies and wasps. I looked it up and it appears they are drawn to some sort of secretion left by another pest that has infested the shrubs. The only thing I can see are some black spots on some of the leaves and there is some minor leaf droppage. I assume this is a fungus of sorts. I hit them with some neem oil since that targets a variety of pests and unlikely to harm the plant. The flies went away for a few days but they are back.
Any ideas on what the black spots are or any treatment suggestions? I suppose I'll keep spraying them with neem oil every week or so and hope for the best. I have some knockouts between the hollies and don't want them to get infested, too.
Thanks, Eric.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Okiedawn OK Zone 7

Eric, I think you're right on track with your diagnosis and treatment. There are several fungal diseases that can pester hollies at this time of year, but then usually we get hot and dry and that puts an end to them.

My Burford hollies (about 13 years old) and Dwarf Burford hollies (about 4 or 5 years old) all are buzzing with bees in all shapes and sizes, flies, moths, butterflies, etc., but it is because their tiny flowers are blooming.

Did you check the undersides of the leaves to see if aphids or some other pest is feeding on them and depositing honeydew that is attracting the flies and bees?

Dawn

Bookmark   April 13, 2014 at 11:20PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greenman1976(7)

Thanks, Dawn. I did look at the underside of the leaves and didn't seen any signs of aphids. I'll keep treating them for fungus and hope they bounce back.

Bookmark   April 14, 2014 at 10:45PM
More Discussions
Weed ID
(so I know I promised to never complain again, so I'm...
Lisa_H OK
Persistant Herbicide Progress
Here's an update on how some of my plants are exhibiting...
okoutdrsman
My Onions Are IN, now about snakes...
Thank you, Ms Dawn. Sorry for the late reply to your...
luvabasil1
Hydrangea and Azalea question
Has anyone else's hydrangeas and/or azaleas started...
tynersriver
George, On Double Digging for Tomatoes
Bermuda stolons, Johnson Grass Roots. Field Bindweed,...
chickencoupe
Sponsored Products
Ruby Reindeer
$14.99 | Dot & Bo
Holly & Martin Lydock White Cocktail Table
Overstock.com
Chelsea Home Holly Sofa in Denver Black/Flat Suede Graphite/San Francisco Bluebe
Beyond Stores
Hudson Valley Hollis Modern Contempo Foyer Pendant
1800Lighting
Cordless Holly and Berry Door Swag
Grandin Road
Hollis 14 3/4" High Polished Nickel Ceiling Light
Lamps Plus
Hollis Aged Brass Four-Light 19.25 Inch Pendant with Clear Glass
Bellacor
Holly 4 Piece King Bedroom Set in Espresso Dark Brown
$889.00 | LexMod
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™