Corn Gluten Meal

Nevermore44 - 6aApril 1, 2013

I am going to try out the Corn Gluten Meal as a per-emergent this year. The only non grass weeds I typically get are dandelions and other misc things. Nothing too bad. I do have quake grass peppered throughout (from an ill decision years ago of using Kentucky 31 to over seed. I go around with a carpet knife and remove clumps as I see them). The quake grass doesn't form seed heads, so I know the CGM won't do anything for that.

So anyway... the question I have is that the feed store where I typically get the organic feed for the lawn from only has 50lb bags of 20% CGM. What's the deal with the "20%"? Since this is the only place i have available that sells feed ... I have nothing to compare it to. Is 20% normal?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

That Corn Gluten Meal worked as a pre emergent plant growth suppressor was discovered by the people at Iowa State University and they patented what they discovered and have much information available about how CGM works and which products work. Keep in mind that not all CGM products do that as some people have discovered after spending their money.

Here is a link that might be useful: ISU on Corn GLuten Meal

Bookmark   April 2, 2013 at 8:27AM
jeffsav

Nevermore,

If you can locate it, a 1-0-0 liquid corn gluten would be more effective than the granular product and reduce the amount of weeds you'd have to contend with, overall.

I find that the liquid products go to work faster and I don't have to wait for them to break down.

Bookmark   April 2, 2013 at 4:08PM
Nevermore44 - 6a

looking into it more... 20% is the protein content.. which is also the difference between CG Feed and CG meal.

So i hunted down true CGM and it's $32 per 50lb... ouch. I will look around for the liquid.. thanks

Bookmark   April 2, 2013 at 10:04PM
More Discussions
creeping charlie chump
OK, once and for all, is there an organic solution...
yardmartyr
Where do you buy your Tall Fescue seed?
I'm in Sacramento and looking to overseed our tall...
oberci
Objective Proof for Organic vs. Non-organic?
I have always been in the camp of, "Feed the soil,...
chaoticut
Timothy vs Alfalfa
I mistakenly applied Timothy pellets to my lawn instead...
rachel67
Kimmsr...
Kimmsr, I should mention that I have an acre of lawn...
Aggranduser
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™