Uninvited Guest (or three or four)

silvergirl426_gwOctober 27, 2010

I had some uninvited guests this year via the compost. I can't say that come October this one was unwelcome. I'd never planted pumpkins before! (not enough room) Especially among the fairy roses. But I let this one do its thing all summer, getting bigger and more outsize in the front slope bed. And then when it was big and orange I picked it. Happy (surprise) Halloween!

lucia

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
claireplymouth z6b coastal MA

What a lovely gift from the compost! It looks like it belongs there (I like orange and pink).

Are you going to try to repeat it next year? Maybe one of the little white ones....

Claire

Bookmark   October 27, 2010 at 8:59PM
diggerdee zone 6 CT

How pretty! A perfect pumpkin in the perfect spot. What a nice Halloween surprise!

Two years ago I composted a bunch of gourds from a display at work. My new lasagna bed became a big punkin patch, lol. I let everything go just to see what would happen. I had so many gourds! I actually brought them in to make a display at work - what goes around...

Anyway, after that I decided not to compost any more gourds, lol. It was fun, but it took up way too much room. I still do compost my pumpkins, but there are fewer of them than the gourd display, and I try to pull them out in spring if they sprout. If I could be guaranteed a beautiful pumpkin like you got I might just leave one or two to grow....

:)
Dee

Bookmark   October 28, 2010 at 11:22AM
spedigrees z4VT

What a perfect pumpkin you grew! I'm with Claire; I love orange and pink in combination.

I haven't grown pumpkins since we gave up growing a vegetable garden about 20 years ago, but I'm digging a small patch to plant corn, a hill of pumpkins, sunflowers and a short row of carrots for the old pony next summer. (After driving from farm stand to farm stand in search of corn stalks to decorate our front porch, I resolved to grow my own next year!) Anyways I plan to save seeds from my halloween pumpkins when they start to disintegrate, or after halloween, whichever comes first.

Thanks for posting the photo. It's inspiring me to go back outdoors and resume digging!

Bookmark   October 28, 2010 at 5:18PM
More Discussions
Conservation District Sales and State Nurseries
You all know what time of year it is. It's the time...
edlincoln
Open Gardens for 2015
I got a brochure in the mail from the Garden Conservancy...
NHBabs
Rabbit question
If I have a raised garden bed that is 28 inches high,...
dwyerkg
Why Animals Do Not Touch the Compost Pile In My Backyard?
I have been doing compost in my backyard for two years....
easycity
Annie_NH Annual Plant Swap June 7, 2015
Hello, this is Annie's daughter Becky. We will be having...
annie_nh
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™