Sophronitis cernua

aachenelf z5 MplsJuly 14, 2008

Small creeping species from Brazil, Bolivia, Paraguay. First flower for me on a really small plant. I didn't even see the bud form. One day I noticed something orange and couldn't figure what was going on until I looked closer. Shows you how much attention the orchids get while outside for the summer.

Kevin

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
xmpraedicta(3b Saskatoon)

Really cute - how creeping is this one? I'm getting more and more into compact/miniatures (no thanks to you of course) and this one definitely should be added to the list!

Bookmark   July 15, 2008 at 9:28AM
treehaus(4)

Nice! I like this species, and I like that you're growing it in a pot.

Mike

Bookmark   July 15, 2008 at 2:54PM
aachenelf z5 Mpls

Thanks guys.

Calvin - I would say a compact creeper. The new PB's stay pretty close to the rest of the plant. It really is a nice looking plant even out of bloom

Mike - This is an example of my pot/mount method. I stuffed a couple pieces of tree fern in a pot and pinned the plant down. So far, so good.

K

Bookmark   July 15, 2008 at 3:19PM
sambac(z10fl)

What a cutie. It's colour is hotter than the hot topic in this section of the forum!!

Bookmark   July 15, 2008 at 6:27PM
ifraser25(z11 Brazil)

Look after this well. We went on a walk recently in the Mata Atlantica and the guide showed us a plant of it with about 300 p'bulbs. Only a couple of flowers were still out so I didn't photograph it. We did a quick calculation and reckoned it was probably about 80 years old! I was very chuffed with myself as the guide only knew it as an orchid and I was able to give him the proper name.It's surprising how little many Brazilians know about orchids and how little they care about them for the most part....:-(

Bookmark   July 16, 2008 at 11:05PM
carolinn_on(z3 Northern Ontario)

Kevin, I'll have to try your mount method, as I like as many of my orchids as possible to be potted. Lovely bloom!

Carol

Bookmark   July 19, 2008 at 3:26PM
More Discussions
No name Noblie type Dendrobium
I made up a name. An old lady with a huge collection...
shavedmonkey (Harvey in South Fl.)Z10b
Photos of 2015 Yuxi cym show, Yunnan province, China
Link: more than 100 photos in my idea book some examples...
jujujojo_gw
Angreaceum sesquipedale (White Wings x Moon Flight)
Darvin's famous orchid. non-fragrant during the day,...
orchidnick
Dendrobium banana royal
A primary cross of Den. canaliculatum and Den. Liholho....
shavedmonkey (Harvey in South Fl.)Z10b
Masdevallia hirtzii
Nice strong color, reliable bloomer. I grow it cold...
orchidnick
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™