What salvias grow wild around the Ozarks?

christie_sw_mo(Z6)January 17, 2010

I found this growing back in our hayfield last May but forgot about the photos until I was looking through them recently. I posted in the Name That Plant forum and one person replied that it might be salvia lyrata. There were several plants all growing close to one another.

I'm going to try posting thumbnails but couldn't get them to work last time I tried.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gldno1

I have never seen a salvia growing in the wild. That sure is what it looks like. My Missouri Wildflowers doesn't list any in the index.

Bookmark   January 17, 2010 at 11:52AM
beerhog(z7AR)

Salvia lyrata

Here is a link that might be useful: Salvia Lyrata

Bookmark   January 17, 2010 at 9:25PM
christie_sw_mo(Z6)

Thank you Beerhog. : )
I checked the Grownative site and it didn't list any salvias either so I thought I might have something unusual but I guess not.
I do think it had time to go to seed so I hope it's not going to be a problem. I couldn't find anything about it being toxic to cattle. Maybe the hummingbirds will use it.

Bookmark   January 18, 2010 at 8:05AM
helenh(z6 SW MO)

This one doesn't look like yours, but it is shown in my book to grow in your area. S. azurea is palatable and nutritious for all classes of livestock especially in spring according to Steyermark. Yours is closely related so I doubt it would hurt livestock. The only salvias shown in my book are lyrata, azurea, reflexa, and (sclarea escaped from cultivation near St. Louis). This is from my 1725 paged book Flora of Missouri. This one below looks very nice.

Here is a link that might be useful: salvia azurea

Bookmark   January 18, 2010 at 10:56AM
helenh(z6 SW MO)

I couldn't get the link but Dave's G. has positive things to say about your salvia.

Bookmark   January 18, 2010 at 11:05AM
christie_sw_mo(Z6)

That's a big book Helen! I should see if they have that at the library. (maybe reference)
I really like salvias. There are many plants that bloom so long and require so little water.

Bookmark   January 22, 2010 at 5:07PM
More Discussions
So......has any ever grown......?
Abelia mosanensis? Or Nemesia cheiranthus 'Shooting...
mocountryboys
March Gardening Letter from MU
I always find good info on these: March Gardening Calendar...
gldno1
some projects
rebuilt steps
mocountryboys
Whatever happened to Springfield Seed?
Not sure that's the right name but the one that was...
christie_sw_mo
Planted some seeds
I finally got part of my plant light stand cleaned...
gldno1
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™