Ok...So I recently purchased a house and it had sat vacant for a year and it seems that no one did anything with the lawn for years before that either. The backyard seems like I need a 4x4 mower to get over the holes and bumps and every other thing. It had rained here for a couple days straight and the next day the ground was hard as a rock and had cracks in the ground in the bare spots.I want to go to an organic lawn program, but right now the back yard is over 50% weeds and other such pests, not nice grass. The front yard isn't as bad because the city took care of it while the house was vacant. I'd say it's only 20% weeds. I am putting down a synthetic weed and feed today to hopefully kill most of the weeds and start a comeback.
My questions are these:
1. What would you recommend after this weed & feed application to make my lawn the best organically?
2. Should I put down a light application of SBM next month? every month?
3. Can I fill in the deep holes with a mix of potting soil and compost and then seed these bare spots?
4. It looks like at one point a tree stood in a spot in the back yard. Now there is decomposing tree stump that is in a
depression. Can I just fill in over the top of this with the topsoil/compost/seed mixture?
5. Other general suggestions to get me on the right track?