Do you consider motherwort a weed?

pixie_louOctober 11, 2011

About 4 years ago, I took 4 motherwort plants from my godmothers house. 3 survived transplanting and have developed into nice sized plants. But when I was out weeding today, in the vicinity of those plants, I must have found 50 volunteer plants. I've never seen volunteers before, and these were no more than a few inches high. Which made me start wondering - with this many volunteers, do people consider this plant a weed?

Personally I love the plant. It has such a great shape - I really love the architecture of the plant. It does well in my crappy soil and in my shady yard. But as much as I love it - I really don't want it scattered all across my garden. I guess I'm wondering how agressive I need to be with pulling volunteers.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Steve Massachusetts Zone 5b

"A weed is a plant that is growing in the wrong place." - Jim Crocket

Steve

Bookmark   October 12, 2011 at 8:27AM
siennact

I am on the fence about it. It does seed itself where it can, but I don't find it to be too bad. I let them grow here and there in the less formal areas of the yard. They have great medicinal uses, apparently.

Bookmark   October 17, 2011 at 5:55AM
diggingthedirt

I'm not even sure I'd know a motherwort if I saw one. The images on google are very variable. What does yours look like?

Bookmark   October 20, 2011 at 12:58PM
pixie_lou

diggingthedirt - these are some pictures I took in late June/early July. Do these help?

The plant (at least mine) get about 3-4' tall. The stems are "square", the blossoms are right on the stems, at the leaf node. I had blossoms through early September. (And I do recall a thread on the "Name That Plant" Forum, where some one thought there neighbor was growing marijuana - thinking motherwort had marijuana shaped leaves.)

Bookmark   October 22, 2011 at 9:50PM
More Discussions
Flora at THBG
I think this exhibition of flowers and flower arrangements...
Steve Massachusetts Zone 5b
2015 Seeds & Plants on Sale, Locally? Online Catalog Sales?
I am starting a new sale thread for 2015 so it will...
NHBabs
Show Us Your Gardens - A Photo Thread -February 2015
Happy Snow Days New England Gardeners! Welcome to the...
pixie_lou
when do your daffodils bloom?
When do your daffodils bloom? I can't wait for them...
daffodil33
Any Block Island gardeners here?
I've never seen any postings from anyone gardening...
bill_ri_z6b
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™