Wild grass. Should I be worried?

jjlunaApril 22, 2008

Wild grass has taken over about 1/4 of my back yard. I don't know what it is, but it grows more slowly than what was already there and it grows more sideways than up. I'm not sure if I should be worried that it is currently blooming and could potentially take over even more. I bought some CGM at the expensive, suburban nursery and spread it around the wild grass area (it's a little too spendy to spread over the whole 4000 sq ft) and I'm mowing a little shorter to cut off the blooms of the wild grass.

Should I be worried? Is there some other organic way to stop the invasion? Or do I just need to let go of the idea that the back yard should be uniform and perfect?

Thanks!

JJ

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fescue_planter

If the grass spreads by rhizomes then the CGM will do you no good (which is what it sounds like). Not to mention the idea I get from CGM is that it takes a while for the pre-emergent effects to kick in. It sounds like it could be an aggressive growth grass (zoysia maybe?) that invades open spaces and puts the squeeze on grass it gets next to. It might be a bad thing for you to have which means starting over!

Bookmark   April 22, 2008 at 6:24PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jjluna

Yikes, FP! That's not what I wanted to hear. The truth can be so painful sometimes.

I have to admit I'm a newbie to lawn care, organic or otherwise. This is only my second spring of having grass that I really cared about and wanted to look good. (At our old house you couldn't really see the 500sq ft of grass in the back from most of the windows, so if it was green and didn't have bright yellow flowers that was OK with me.) Last year I waffled between organic and NPK and ended up not doing much of anything, probably leaving the lawn weak and ripe for invasion.

I knew I was late with the CGM, but I figured it couldn't hurt anything. I think I'll continue with the organic plan and see what happens. It should hopefully at least keep some of the lawn healthy.

If we decide the wild grass has to go, I'm sure I'll be back asking for more advice about the best way to do it without resorting to Ortho products.

Thanks!

JJ

Bookmark   April 23, 2008 at 11:27PM
More Discussions
Where do you buy your Tall Fescue seed?
I'm in Sacramento and looking to overseed our tall...
oberci
Cow Manure
If I took fresh cow manure, made a tea out of it and...
srks72
Objective Proof for Organic vs. Non-organic?
I have always been in the camp of, "Feed the soil,...
chaoticut
Thatch Problem // Missing Opportunity to Aerate
I live in zone 5b and have approximately 1" of...
claga
Helping neglected lawn recover
Hi We bought our house last winter. It was a rental...
NVL4
Sponsored Products
Illume Mediterranean Room & Linen Spray
$24.50 | FRONTGATE
Minka Lavery | Artemis Ceiling Fan
YLiving.com
Stasis Table Lamp with Glass Option by Hubbardton Forge
$598.00 | Lumens
Edison Sputnik Lamp
ModernistLighting.com
Gridiron Large Bench in Silver
$269.00 | LexMod