Pesticide residues in CGM?

iowahippie15April 18, 2008

I'm just about to start my organic program and by 5 bags of 50 LB CGM at the local feed store...which seems expensive at 30.00 a pop, by the way, but I'm all for it anyways.

It crossed my mind that is anyone concerned that there are pesticides in these organic lawn care ingredients (CGM, soybean meal, corn meal, etc.) that are left over after all the farmers zap the crap out of their fields with whatever chemicals they use??

I was panicking a little right before I buy and would like to be reassured somehow...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
the_virginian(Zone 7 NoVA)

The pesticides and herbicides used today are SO much safer than in the days of DDT and Agent Orange it isn't even funny. They are required to break down in a matter of weeks rather than in years. The soil organisms and fungi will probably break down the small amount left that they will be such small traces left that they would be rendered undetectible. I wouldn't worry about it, really.

Bookmark   April 18, 2008 at 11:30PM
decklap(5IL)

You can assume that any grain meal you buy has been treated with pesticides. You have to balance those residual concerns against putting chemicals directly on your lawn. For my own part I think its always better to support the slow-small changes in the market rather than wait for the perfect ones.

Bookmark   April 19, 2008 at 2:20PM
dchall_san_antonio(8 San Antonio)

The corn kernels themselves are protected from direct spray by a sheath and tassels. Then to make CGM the kernels undergo the wet milling process to remove some of the carbohydrates leaving the higher protein powder we know as CGM as a byproduct. I would think the farther away from raw corn you get, but less and less amount of any pesticide residue would remain.

Bookmark   April 19, 2008 at 5:02PM
More Discussions
Best Organic Weed Control Ideas?
Hello, I am doing a project in which the objective...
Tigger033
Questions about overseeding
Hi all, soon I will be overseeding my Tall Fescue with...
oberci
Objective Proof for Organic vs. Non-organic?
I have always been in the camp of, "Feed the soil,...
chaoticut
Thatch Problem?
I'll be having the lawn aerated next week and I was...
nickrosesn
Why not use herbicide to control Ground Ivy?
I have always practiced organic lawn care. I mow high...
tomp123
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™