We're just walking compost piles

rcnaylor(z7 Tex)April 24, 2008

this from an article from MSN:

"We know there's a huge difference in the diseases that different nations risk  broadly speaking, the Japanese tend to die of strokes, the Chinese of heart attacks  and we see those differences reflected in their urine," he added. "Of course they're different in terms of lifestyle  the Japanese tend to eat more fish than the Chinese as a whole do  but their gut bacteria are also very distinct as well."

Gut microbes help us get energy from our food.

"In your guts, you have about 1.5 kilograms (3.3 pounds) of 1,000 different species of bacteria," Nicholson explained. "If you include all the genes from bacteria along with your own, only about 1 to 2 percent of the genes in your body are human, with the rest from the gut microbes. And what bacteria you have can be quite different from person to person."

I thought the folks here might get a kick out of these kinds of details. Imagine, only 1 to 2 percent of the DNA in our bodies are human. Ha. That should teach us not to get too arrogant in the future.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lou_midlothian_tx(z8 DFW, Tx)

take antibiotics and it will be 100% human DNA! ;-)

Bookmark   April 24, 2008 at 6:00PM
rcnaylor(z7 Tex)

When my son was a little guy he got too much antibiotic once.

They had to re-introduce the bacteria.

Bookmark   April 24, 2008 at 11:20PM

Hmm... Yobaby yogurt? They are quite tasty. I feed my little girl that stuff. I think it really works. It's been almost 3 years and she has yet to get stomach illness or food poisoning, you know how they touch everything and put nasty dirty fingers in their mouth....

Bookmark   April 25, 2008 at 9:50PM

Try telling little kids that! All they ever want is C_A_N_D_Y! I also give my daughter cod liver by Garden of Life which is pretty good tasting. No fishy taste or anything.

Bookmark   April 26, 2008 at 5:51PM
More Discussions
Planting Clover Stolons (or Any Stolons Really)
Has anyone ever tried to transplant clover or a stoloniferous...
CPTK
Why not use herbicide to control Ground Ivy?
I have always practiced organic lawn care. I mow high...
tomp123
overseeding help !
Hi All, I have a 5000 sft lawn with tall fescue, in...
gmanar
Thatch Problem // Missing Opportunity to Aerate
I live in zone 5b and have approximately 1" of...
claga
Questions about overseeding
Hi all, soon I will be overseeding my Tall Fescue with...
oberci
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™