I need cabbage wisdom

christie_sw_mo(Z6)January 28, 2014

Any advice on varieties that do/don't do well in the Ozarks?
Should I start it from seed or buy plants?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
helenh(z6 SW MO)

No one is answering probably because of the word wisdom. I think Glenda and others have wisdom about cabbage but I sure don't. You don't have an OK climate but it looks like they start theirs early. Okiedawn is almost in Texas but she gives you a clue about the temperature when it is time to plant it outside. Also they freeze cabbage which gave me an idea because I have some Napa cabbage in my fridge and may freeze it before it rots on me.

Here is a link that might be useful: cabbage wisdom

Bookmark   January 29, 2014 at 11:32PM
christie_sw_mo(Z6)

"experience" then. lol
I've been wanting to try to make homemade sauerkraut and from what I've read, it's better to use organic cabbage so the chemicals don't keep it from fermenting the way it should. I don't like canned sauerkraut but we ate at a German restaurant in Arkansas that served fresh sauerkraut made with raw cabbage rather than the cooked stuff that comes in cans and it wasn't bad.
I haven't finished reading the cabbage thread in the OK forum but I will. Thanks My internet is giving me trouble today.
I've never bought Napa cabbage.

Bookmark   February 2, 2014 at 1:03PM
helenh(z6 SW MO)

I am still looking for you.

Here is a link that might be useful: cabbage and onions

Bookmark   February 6, 2014 at 1:10PM
rockwhisperer(6a)

I grow cabbage almost every year and usually make sauerkraut. I can recommend Copenhagen Market. It makes beautiful big round heads that are sweet and succulent.

My climate in NE OK is about the same as yours. I don't generally find that things that do well in southern OK do as well in northern OK.

I start with seed, planted indoors. I set them out in the garden as soon as the worst of winter is over, after a brief hardening off period, almost always around March 1. Best to cover with row cover if you can, to keep the moth that lays worm eggs off them. Last year I interplanted with beets and potatoes and had very good harvests of everything except the potatoes, and that may have been because I also had some volunteer sunflowers and I learned later sunflowers and potatoes don't get along.

Sorry I didn't answer sooner, I haven't been checking the forum for awhile.

I've checked the box to get replies so if you have any questions, I'd be glad to answer if I know what the answer is. Hugs, Ilene

Bookmark   February 8, 2014 at 3:09PM
More Discussions
Merry Christmas!
First winter and first Christmas here in Bella Vista...
sharbear50
Ozark Chinquapin(Chinkapin)
Anyone have this variety of Chestnut, Castanea pumila,...
razorback33
Breaking up new ground for garden
I am wanting to expand my garden in a couple of years...
mission16
A Sample of My Country-Style Gardening
This combo is all self-seeding annuals: Salvia farinacea;...
gldno1
ordered seeds for cucurbita ficifolia -Shark Fin Melon
After spending some time on Gardenweb and Google doing...
christie_sw_mo
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™