All Cityline Hydrangeas $20 at Mahoneys Winchester

mrtulinOctober 15, 2013

There are at least 5 varieties in the Cityline series. They are reduced from about 45 bucks to 20.
they look in fine shape, but I don't know if they are rootbound.
I have sworn off rootbound fall shrubs and trees.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Thyme2dig NH Zone 5

Hey Marie, do you know If those really flower in our zone? I would love to pick up a few from cities I've visited, but have always hesitated not trusting the bloom. Do you know much about them?

Bookmark   October 16, 2013 at 8:29PM
mrtulin

I looked up several sources and they all said zone 5-9. I think that is marginal. My friend's bloomed once in a while, but I was never sure whether it was the cold or incorrect pruning that was the cause of its non blooming years.
I think it would be worth it 1) if you were willing to wrap/mulch or (2) accept it will be winterkilled sometimes, or (3) if you're willing to get rid of it if it's not bud hardy.

Bookmark   October 16, 2013 at 11:55PM
diggingthedirt

This won't help any of you northerners, but the Citylines bloom like crazy on the cape - I've got quite a few. Of course, I don't bother to prune anything, and it's considerably warmer here, especially in my little back yard.

Mine were all end of season steals at Mahoney's, several years ago, and mostly very small. Now they're pushing 4 or 5 feet tall, and are about as big around - I had thought they were supposed to be compact. Many of them have very deep colored flowers, which is what I was looking for at the time.

Bookmark   October 17, 2013 at 8:09PM
More Discussions
Hummingbird Spring Migration 2015
I've been checking regularly and finally today there...
claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
Bristol County Conservation District 2014 Plant Sale
Now is the time the Massachusetts County Conservation...
edlincoln
Is your past content on GW missing?
Yesterday, I went looking for my old comments, to see...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Birds and other mobile features in the garden 2015 #2
This thread is intended to give people a place to post...
claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
Any Block Island gardeners here?
I've never seen any postings from anyone gardening...
bill_ri_z6b
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™