No Frost Yet--for one location anyway

rockman50(6b SEMASS)November 26, 2009

Interesting factoid. The city of Boston has not yet recorded a temperature of 32 degrees or lower this fall. The record for the latest ever first occurrence of 32 degrees for Boston is December 2, 1975. This record could be broken this year.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
javaandjazz(z6 CT)

As far as I remember we have had one frost in my area of CT, just north west of New Haven. The gerbera daisies are still growing but not flowering as much.

Bookmark   November 28, 2009 at 8:56AM
terrene(5b MA)

I have zone envy of anyone who hasn't had a frost yet. Where I live west of Boston, our first frost was on October 15th, and we've had a few.

You won't hear one word of complaint from me though - we've had fabulous weather in November. Great for outdoors work. I've done tons of planting and transplanting, some landscaping, washed a lot of windows, and even a little painting! Along with the usual fall chores, like raking, cleaning the gutters, etc.

Bookmark   November 28, 2009 at 11:17AM
diggingthedirt

We've been spared, down here on the Cape; just some very light frosts a few weeks ago, that iced the lawn a bit but only effected the tenderest things, like Datura and basil.

This is the first year I can remember having all the tender salvias still blooming at Thanksgiving - very nice.

Terrene, didn't you have a bad case of tendonitis, or carpal tunnel syndrome? If I had that I wouldn't wash my windows for at least a couple of years.

Bookmark   November 28, 2009 at 7:28PM
javaandjazz(z6 CT)

ok, I spoke too soon. It's 34 out there right now so I am sure we had one last night!

Bookmark   November 29, 2009 at 8:32AM
terrene(5b MA)

DTD, thanks for asking...yes I had bad tendonitis that flared up in April. I couldn't dig in the dirt for about 5 months and was miserable. However, with treatment and rest, it slowly got better. I was able to dig with the big shovel a little by September. Now I'm much more careful to use wraps if necessary and pace myself (i.e., washed about 10 windows over 3 days).

Bookmark   November 29, 2009 at 9:20AM
rockman50(6b SEMASS)

It is Dec 2 now and Boston has still not hit 32 degrees this fall/winter. So the record for the latest ever first occurrence of 32 degrees in fall/winter will be broken as it will be warm and rainy for another day or so.

Bookmark   December 2, 2009 at 11:11AM
More Discussions
Annie_NH Plant Swap June 2014
Annie will be having her plant swap on June 1st. I...
annie_nh
Show us your gardens - a photo thread - March 2015
Welcome to the New England Gardening "Show Us...
NHBabs
when do your daffodils bloom?
When do your daffodils bloom? I can't wait for them...
daffodil33
Splayed boxwoods
The heavy snow took a tool on my boxwoods. The branches...
mrowe63
Birds and other mobile features in the garden 2015 #4
This thread is intended to give people a place to post...
claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
Sponsored Products
Harrison 2 Piece Queen Bedroom Set in Black
$691.00 | LexMod
Walt Disney Signature Chrome and Crystal Accents One-Light Wall Sconce with Etch
$320.00 | Bellacor
A Mother's Love Print
$21.99 | Dot & Bo
Koko Company TOTEM 20 x 20 in. Pillow - 92003
$132.94 | Hayneedle
Atlantis Satin Black Small Pocket Down One-Light Outdoor Wall Light
$155.00 | Bellacor
Cocoa Brown Joran Sectional Sofa
Cost Plus World Market
Jasmine Adjustable Pendant by Bruck Lighting Systems
$448.00 | Lumens
Filament Design Ceiling Mounted Lighting Stewart 3-Light Ceiling Rubbed Oil