oh no, earth worms

v1rtu0s1ty(5a)April 25, 2008

hehehe, just want to share how delighted I am to see mature earth worms this morning. I dug the soil to plant small plants with the help of my wife. I saw earthworms and my wife as well. Looks like all the organic grains and compost tea I applied last year paid off. :D Woohoo!!!

Also, about 1.5" of the soil on top is pitch black!!! I remember someone here told me that it's really good.

I need more of 'em so there is no need for my lawn to be aerated. :p

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
morpheuspa

I need more of 'em so there is no need for my lawn to be aerated. :p

Wait. On rich soil, they'll be happily, er, making little worms. Lots of little worms.

Bookmark   April 25, 2008 at 8:46PM
v1rtu0s1ty(5a)

By the way, while I was also digging, I saw a color white worm around 3mm in length. It attached to my finger and the body was waving like an earthworm. I also saw black line inside the body. So it's not purely opaque white. Is that also earthworm?

Bookmark   April 25, 2008 at 10:13PM
morpheuspa

That's a brain eating grub. It didn't....touch you, did it?

Kidding. I have no idea, maybe a young larva of something? The black line is actually its digestive canal, so what you were seeing was what was moving through...probably.

Bookmark   April 25, 2008 at 10:20PM
v1rtu0s1ty(5a)

Yeah, I'm sure it was her digestive canal. The moving that I was referring to was the whole lenght of the worm. His whole body was forming like the letter S shape just like a regular earthworm's movement. However, both ends were pointed. I'll dig her up again tomorrow. Hopefully, I'll see her again. HEHEHE. :)

Bookmark   April 25, 2008 at 10:34PM
enigma7(6)

I was turning my compost pile the other day (haven't really gotten deep in it for a month or two) and was sad to see it was a bit too wet near the bottom. So I went about breaking up the wet matter and spreading it out to dry out a bit and was pleasantly surprised to see about 5 HUGE earthworms. I'm talking almost as thick as a finger and probably 6-12" long. Those buggers must have been going to town on the pile. :)

Bookmark   April 28, 2008 at 2:55PM
gags

"I saw earthworms and my wife as well."

I have to ask - what was your wife doing down in the soil? Is this something we should be reporting to the authorities? :-)

Gags

Bookmark   April 28, 2008 at 4:49PM
jer213(5/6 IL)

^^^^^----LOL Gags!

And congrats v1rtu0s1ty, you have inherited earthworm love. Keep 'em happy and they'll keep you happier!

-Jeremy

Bookmark   April 30, 2008 at 10:41AM
v1rtu0s1ty(5a)

LOL gags. Hahaha! I really meant "my wife saw worms as well when she was digging! :D

Thanks again guys! :)

Bookmark   April 30, 2008 at 6:24PM
computergardener(z7 NC)

Congratulations!!!

Nothing makes an organic gardener happier then earth worms. Welcome to the team.

Bookmark   May 4, 2008 at 2:56PM
v1rtu0s1ty(5a)

Thanks. :)

By the way, just an FYI. There was a big weed(dandelions) near my walkway. I used my shovel to pull it out. The root was like 10" long. While I was slowly removing the soil, I found 4 earthworms around the roots! Hmmm, got curious, looks like there is good nutrients from these dandelions. I noticed too that when I tore the root apart, a whitey liquid substance slowly came out. Maybe, that's what the earthworms is sucking?! Interesting. :)

Bookmark   May 4, 2008 at 10:44PM
maplerbirch(4)

I think the earthworms may have been interested in the exudates of the root. I have not heard of them actually sucking out anything from living plants.

Bookmark   May 5, 2008 at 12:02AM
More Discussions
Application rates of organic fertilizer
This year I have mainly been fertilizing with Agway...
pushmower38
Timothy vs Alfalfa
I mistakenly applied Timothy pellets to my lawn instead...
rachel67
Thatch Problem // Missing Opportunity to Aerate
I live in zone 5b and have approximately 1" of...
claga
Basic Outline to Follow for Organic Lawn Care
I have made earlier post describing the problems I...
claga
Planting Clover Stolons (or Any Stolons Really)
Has anyone ever tried to transplant clover or a stoloniferous...
CPTK
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™