planting quart perennials now

mrtulinNovember 1, 2010

I'm sure this has been asked and answered many times but I need to hear it again:

I live in Lexington MA where winters are not consistently snowy. I am not going to try to winter over my new quart perennials in their pots.

They will either go into their new spots or I'll plant them in the beds where I "grow on" small plants I 'd unpot them.

What is your opinion and or experience with either option. ]

My inclination is to put them in the raised planting beds. At least they'll all be in one place so I can continue to water for a few weeks, and mulch easily when the soil is completely frozen.

I managed to forget that in the past I haven't had great luck planting perennials this late/ I figured there wasn't enough time for good root development. But these were terrific bargains and I was looking for these particular plants.

So what would you do to maximize their chances of surviving> /They are all epimediums and two fall anemones; can't get much tougher than these.

Thanks so much

Marie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mad_gallica(zone 5 - eastern New York)

Epimediums I haven't had any trouble with fall planting, and I'd call 1 quart ones quite large. Fall blooming, Japanese anemones, OTOH, haven't been easy to established whenever they are planted, and fall seems to be particularly bad.

Bookmark   November 1, 2010 at 6:50AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
prairiemoon2 z6 MA

Marie, I've had epimedium dry out in a pot over the summer, appear dead and tossed on the compost pile with roots exposed and survive and replant them the next year. I think they should do fine for you. Have never grown anemones, but have heard too, that they are tough. I have buried my leftover pots in my raised veggie beds in the fall, in their pots and had very good luck doing that.

Bookmark   November 1, 2010 at 12:55PM
More Discussions
Birds and other mobile features in the garden 2015 #3
This thread is intended to give people a place to post...
claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
Birds and other mobile features in the garden 2015 #2
This thread is intended to give people a place to post...
claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
Deer resistant evergreen shrub
Was wondering if you have any suggestions for an evergreen...
BloominOnion
Seaweed as mulch
I am thinking of using seaweed as mulch or add to my...
dwyerkg
Cold or not, it's THAT time of year again!
The infamous Philadelphia International Flower Show is...
hunt4carl
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™