Creeping Charlie Suggestions...

kuriooo(5)April 24, 2010

Hi All,

So we've done the pseudo-organic method for about 4 years, although we haven't been strict about some of the rules (watering, etc). We are slowly having an influx of creeping charlie, and it is getting out of control in some parts of the yard.

Pulling by hand is just not working - it grows quickly.

We've got a mix of clover in with the grass, and generally try to cut high and water less.

I'm ok with having "some" charlie and weeds, but it's really getting close to taking over. Any suggestions for how to kill charlie?

What would happen to my soil organisms if I apply pesticides one spring to "nuke" the charlie and then return to organic? Is this possibly a recommended course of action to keep things under control for a few more years?

txs

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

Creeping Charlie, aka Creeping Jenny and ground ivy "Glechoma hederacea", has prefered soil conditions like any other plant has and usually these soil conditions are not good grass growing conditions. Correcting the too moist, shady, and generally lower soil pH conditions can help, so a start to control "Glechoma hederacea" is with your soil.
What is your soils pH?
How much organic matter is in that soil?
How well does the soil drain?
How well does that soil retain moisture?
What does that soil smell like?
What kind of life is in that soil?
How does that soil work?

Here is a link that might be useful: About Creeping Charlie

Bookmark   April 27, 2010 at 6:52AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kuriooo(5)

Hi Kimmsr,

Thanks for the Charlie post. I took a look at the "hot spots" today and can identify some of the problems right away. Some of the spots are definitely retaining more moisture than others, which is contributing to "my" charlie problems. Guess I need to cut back on watering certain areas.

The other areas are cared for by my neighbor, who doesn't use organic methods. These areas are sunny, and the charlie is totally out of control. It's getting cut pretty regularly and pretty short, too. Sure that's contributing to growth.

We've been working to up organic matter for the past several years, spreading compost and coffee grounds regularly. Soil is slightly basic, but not much. More and more worms every year. The yard is a mix of clay in one area and lots of sand. It's taking a lot of soil ammendments to get some good quality soil, but we're getting there.

Thanks for the link, that's also good charlie info.

Bookmark   April 28, 2010 at 9:47PM
More Discussions
Thatch Problem // Missing Opportunity to Aerate
I live in zone 5b and have approximately 1" of...
claga
overseeding help !
Hi All, I have a 5000 sft lawn with tall fescue, in...
gmanar
High % OM & Compaction/Hydrotropic
My front & back lawn have been 100% organic for...
sc77
Where do you buy your Tall Fescue seed?
I'm in Sacramento and looking to overseed our tall...
oberci
Helping neglected lawn recover
Hi We bought our house last winter. It was a rental...
NVL4
Sponsored Products
Black & Burgundy La Vista Grommet Panel - Set of Two
$24.99 | zulily
Design Toscano The Creeper from the Grave Statue - QM21463
$32.90 | Hayneedle
Jura Capresso CoffeeTEAM GS 10 Cup Grind & Brew - 464.05
$172.42 | Hayneedle
OJ Floor Lamp by Louis Poulsen
$1,010.00 | Lumens
Straight Arrow Throw
| Dot & Bo