Is winter a good time to overseed my grass?

vzgfuNovember 25, 2007

I am new on gardening living in Boston area, I am wondering if it is good time to overseed my grass before the snow coming.

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ginny12

It is really too late now to overseed. In a few very warm areas, and in a very warm winter, it might work but best wait til the soil warms up in the spring--not too early.

Bookmark   November 25, 2007 at 2:34PM
gardenscout(z6 NE RI)

Sure -- you can overseed now. It's called dormant seeding, and it is discussed quite a bit over at the Lawn Care forum. The seed sits there all winter and sprouts nicely in the spring. The only reason I haven't done it that way is because then you can't use crabgrass preventer (or any germination inhibitor for weed seeds) in the springtime. But if you want to give it a try, you'll be happy with all the nice new grass sprouts you'll get in the spring. Keep it watered in the heat of the summer though, because it may struggle. I can recommend Rebel Elite TTT Fescue mix. I got it at Lowe's and I have been very happy with it.

Also if you like the idea of dormant seeding, head over to the Winter Sowing forum. You can sow nearly any kind of seed that way (perennials, annuals, vegetables, shrubs, trees, etc.), and there are hundreds of great gardeners over there who can help you get started. Basically you end up with dozens (or hundreds) of free plants. Dormant seeding is nothing new, and is a time-tested technique. (...contrary to some on the WS board who believe it was invented by one of the members there.) See you there, and good luck with your lawn.

Bookmark   November 27, 2007 at 8:50PM
gardenscout(z6 NE RI)

I remembered one more thing about dormant seeding (for turf seeds). You need to wait until we are well into winter temperatures -- maybe even wait until Jan or Feb. You wouldn't want those seeds sprouting too soon during a warm spell.

Good luck.

Bookmark   November 27, 2007 at 11:06PM
mayalena(6 - MetroWest Boston)

Question from one who has never overseeded her lawn, and you can tell by looking: if we don't have snow cover, wouldn't you just be feeding the birds?

Bookmark   November 28, 2007 at 6:15AM
More Discussions
Ferjulian's, Brigham Nursery, & Gerards's
Ferjulian in Hudson, MA I discovered this nice hidden...
mrtulin
Mason Bee House - - Where to position?
I could go to the Bee Forum, but thought I would ask...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Web design resources: blogs & designer websites
I have two garden-related confessions to make today...
NHBabs
Conservation District Sales and State Nurseries
You all know what time of year it is. It's the time...
edlincoln
No spray cherry, apple, and pear tree recommendations?
I have larger area of my yard, where at some point...
agurkas
Sponsored Products
Couristan Anatolia Antique Kashan Rug - 20670009022032T
$32.00 | Hayneedle
Basket Metal Dining Chair in White White
$153.00 | LexMod
Boraam Polylumber 5 Piece Pub Set
Beyond Stores
Horizon Area Rug
Home Decorators Collection
Alpine Flushmount by Hudson Valley Lighting
$798.00 | Lumens
Marseille Antique Bronze Six-Light 20-Inch Chandelier with Royal Cut Clear Cryst
Bellacor
Vifah Dining Furniture Bradley Acacia White 7-Piece Patio Dining Set with 32
Home Depot
Blue & Green Circle Bless Quilt Set
$79.99 | zulily
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™