Name that Grass, Please!

slowpoke_gardenerApril 24, 2014

I have this grass everywhere. The only thing I can say good about it is, that the birds seem to love it. I had dozens of what looked like Finch all over my lawn today. Other birds seem to like it also. It has a very thick root system, but does not go very deep. It gives me more problems than Bermuda.

Thanks, Larry

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
MiaOKC

I can't zoom in very clearly, but it looks a bit like Dallis grass. Do you have a closer pic of the seed head?

Bookmark   April 24, 2014 at 8:24PM
oldbusy1

Not dallisgrass. looks like bluegrass

Here is a link that might be useful: bluegrass

Bookmark   April 24, 2014 at 8:41PM
slowpoke_gardener

Its not the Dallisgrass I have had before.

Trying to go back 60+ years, I am thinking we called it chicken grass or wire grass, but that is a long time for this old mind to go back, and that may not have been the name of it then.

I tried to take a closer picture.

Larry

Bookmark   April 24, 2014 at 8:51PM
slowpoke_gardener

It does look like the Bluegrass link, but its not blue.

Bookmark   April 24, 2014 at 9:00PM
TexasRanger10(7)

Does it look like Annual Bluegrass?

Here is a link that might be useful: http://search.aol.com/aol/imageDetails?s_it=imageDetails&q=rough+bluegrass+annual&img=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.turfgrass.ncsu.edu%2FImages%2FPlants%2Fannualbluegrass%2FThumbs250%2Fweed5.jpg&v_t=nscpsearch&host=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.turffiles.ncsu.edu%2Fweeds%2Fbluegrass_annual.aspx&width=181&height=136&thumbUrl=http%3A%2F%2Ft3.gstatic.com%2Fimages%3Fq%3Dtbn%3AANd9GcTvhLqkpToa38jJg1GDCNjQZGhsRFXEL3nKxqPkNkpJ3tQJXAWQa3oiNuzR%3Awww.turfgrass.ncsu.edu%2FImages%2FPlants%2Fannualbluegrass%2FThumbs250%2Fweed5.jpg&b=image%3Fv_t%3Dnscpsearch%26page%3D1%26q%3Drough%2Bbluegrass%2Bannual%26s_it%3DimageResultsBack%26oreq%3De84e64cb871043d0a2af8a5bdc38462e%26oreq%3D6cfb700022d34e2f99af83988dd3c010&imgHeight=188&imgWidth=250&imgTitle=annual+bluegrass&imgSize=21175&hostName=www.turffiles.ncsu.edu

Bookmark   April 24, 2014 at 9:23PM
MiaOKC

Oh, yes, definitely not dallis grass. I was thinking this might be a little early for it, too.

Bookmark   April 24, 2014 at 9:27PM
oldbusy1

doesn't look like chick grass

Here is a link that might be useful: chickgrass

Bookmark   April 24, 2014 at 9:27PM
oldbusy1

sorry I couldn't resist the previous post.
Here is a link that helps identify grasses, weeds, sedges.

Here is a link that might be useful: identify weeds

Bookmark   April 24, 2014 at 9:32PM
mulberryknob

It's not wiregrass, but more than that I can't say.

Bookmark   April 24, 2014 at 10:02PM
slowpoke_gardener

Thanks everyone. It looks to be Bluegrass. I have heard of Bluegrass all my life and never knew what it looked like.

Busy1, I sure am glad its not Chick grass, every time I would mow I would have feathers all over the highway and buzzards on my lawn eating my clippings.

Bookmark   April 24, 2014 at 10:12PM
dbarron(z7_Arkansas)

Same here...there's bluegrass in the yard outside and I had no idea what it was (annual)

Bookmark   April 24, 2014 at 10:30PM
wbonesteel(7)

Name that grass? I'll call it 'Fred,' then

Tell Fred I said, 'Hey!'

Bookmark   April 25, 2014 at 6:19PM
luvncannin

An old alfalfa farmer I know calls it Smooth Brome, not sure if that is spelled right. He always says its his favorite grass besides alfalfa.
Kim

Bookmark   April 25, 2014 at 6:49PM
luvncannin

Larry I showed it to my friend and he said that's not smooth brome it looks like wild oats. I don't know about either one but just passing that along.
kim

Bookmark   April 28, 2014 at 8:17AM
Okiedawn OK Zone 7

We had it in Texas and we have it here. Neil Sperry always called it poa annua when callers to his radio show described it and he ID'd it for them, so I've always known it as poa annual and never knew that poa annua was blue grass. I guess I could have looked up poa annua to learn its common name, but never did.

I like it because it greens up early and I can pull it up and throw it onto the compost piles with the chopped and shredded leaves from the fall. The poa annua, when added to those chopped and shredded leaves, add enough nitrogen to get the compost cooking in the late winter and early spring. What's not to like about that?

I should add I pull it up from garden beds, and I just leave it alone in the yard because it will get mowed down along with everything else.

Bookmark   April 28, 2014 at 9:15AM
slowpoke_gardener

Dawn, I don't pull it up in the lawn either. The roots are very thick and always pull out a small clump of soil with the plant. My soil is very thin and I have none to loose.

Bookmark   April 28, 2014 at 9:31AM
More Discussions
Cross pollination of mixed packet of flower seeds?
If I have a packet of mixed carnations, for example,...
chickencoupe
Problems/successes germinating
Since all I am doing right now is sowing and waiting...
luvncannin
Gardenia and Peace Lily Zone 7
Hi All. My daughter died recently and we received...
realtrrldy
Atwoods Seed Potato Sale $2.99/5lb 3/1/2015
2015 Atwoods Seed Potato Sale $2.99 5lb as of this...
chickencoupe
seed swap tulsa
are they having the seed swap in Tulsa today
oldokie
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™