Corn Gluten Meal for June?

sunfire01(z8 TX)May 26, 2010

I've noticed that in some of the online publications for Texas organic gardening say to put out corn gluten meal around March and then again the first of June. Does anyone follow this strategy as well? I was gonna buy a bag for $19.99 at my feed store this week and put it out to prevent anymore nasty crabgrass from germinating. I already have too much of it as it is and wanna cover anymore seeds that might germinate late. Would this be wise or a waste?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dogwind(Z8a TX)

I don't follow any particular strategy for fertilizer. I just spread CGM in my yard because my St Augustine green-up this year has been real slow, and I felt it needed a nitrogen boost. I have one area of my yard that gets full mid day to late afternoon sun, and it is still slowly filling in some dead spots. Freeze damage in the D/FW area was particularly hard on St Augustine in the area, although my neighbors don't seem to have it as bad. I finally broke down and bought a bag of CGM to give the lawn a boost. It is already the third time I have fertilized this year. In Feb I spread dry molasses and in April I spread alfalfa pellets.
That is a great price for a 40# bag of CGM. Where can I purchase it that cheaply?

Bookmark   June 3, 2010 at 8:04AM
texasredhead(z8Texas)

Very simply, CGM this time of the year is only good as a fertilizer and it will certainly fertilize any weeds you allready including perennial weeds. Even using CGM in late winter or early fall as weed control, it will not control perennial weeds such as dollar weed.

Bookmark   June 14, 2010 at 9:42AM
west9491(6)

in my zone, 6, ive noticed lots of crabgrass just staring to spring up. I think that if I woulda applied some CGM mid may to early june, i mighta been able to fight some of the crabgrass. BUT, in Texas, i think that June would be too late. Try to be observant about when your weeds come up and plan accordingly for next year. Until then, do what you can to kill existing plants. Good luck, I'd say i've pulled a good 2000+ crabgrass plants and seedlings out of flower beds and veg. gardens. HATE EM.

Bookmark   June 14, 2010 at 9:54PM
granburyflowergirl(7)

I put CGM down the first week of April here in North Central TX (towards the end of the Forsythia bloom period) and my yard is covered in crabgrass right now. It grows faster than I can pull it and seems to be putting tons of seed heads up right now AAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!!

Bookmark   July 1, 2010 at 10:19AM
More Discussions
Objective Proof for Organic vs. Non-organic?
I have always been in the camp of, "Feed the soil,...
chaoticut
Thatch Problem // Missing Opportunity to Aerate
I live in zone 5b and have approximately 1" of...
claga
Basic Outline to Follow for Organic Lawn Care
I have made earlier post describing the problems I...
claga
Kimmsr...
Kimmsr, I should mention that I have an acre of lawn...
Aggranduser
Why not use herbicide to control Ground Ivy?
I have always practiced organic lawn care. I mow high...
tomp123
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™