starting salvia from seed

sweetwm007(6 b)January 2, 2008

my wife had very good results with purchased red salvia plants last yr. i was wondering if you start them from seeds like tomatoes? about 8 wks before the last frost date? will bottom heat help germination? any help would be appreciated.

thanks

william

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mulberryknob

William, I started Salvia from seed a few years ago--with bottom heat. As I recall the seed was very very small and I think it took longer than 8 weeks for them to reach transplanting size. I only did it once as I don't have room to do many ornamentals. My plant starting bench is tied up with sugar snap peas, broccoli, and tomatoes in the spring.

Bookmark   January 3, 2008 at 12:02AM
ceresone(missouri ozarks)

Has anyone seen the salvia called "hot lips"? only place I've seen it is in Territorial, as a plant, but its so different! description is bi-color of snowwhite, with a crimson kisser, stretches 36" tall and wide, sneers at heat, drought, and deer dont like it, really pretty.

Bookmark   January 3, 2008 at 9:53AM
sweetwm007(6 b)

thanks for the replies.

ceresone- the hot lips salvia has a small story behind the introduction. i did some research on it after you posted. wish you wouldn't do that!
it came from mexico by a housekeeper of a guy that works at an arboretum in calif. they propagated and released it in 2002. they say it will only handle temps down to 20. territorial has a good price. i checked some other sites and they were 3 times as much. normally territorial is more costly on seeds.

william

Bookmark   January 12, 2008 at 8:38PM
JamesY40(z7a)

I will be starting salvia 'evolution' this year as recommended by gldno1. I was thinking about placing the seed in a damp paper towel to sprout, then transplanting it into pots. Is the seed too small to do this?
James

Bookmark   January 15, 2008 at 1:26PM
gldno1

James I wouldn't be worried about sowing it directly on the soil. I have never had a problem with them sprouting. I think they would be much too tiny and would be damaged by the towel method. Be sure to cover the flat or container with plastic until they sprout. This will hold in moisture and you shouldn't have to water until they are up well and then I would water from the bottom until the plants are a good size.

Bookmark   January 16, 2008 at 5:20AM
JamesY40(z7a)

Thanks for the info. I hope I'm not too late in starting these. James

Bookmark   January 16, 2008 at 11:26AM
proudgm_03(6 MO)

Just curious, have any of you checked out the winter sowing forum and the seed exchange forum?

Bookmark   January 20, 2008 at 9:10AM
gldno1

I haven't lately. I tried a few years ago the winter sowing technique and it was not successful for me. I know I should have given it another try, but didn't.

I will check out the seed exchange today.

Bookmark   January 20, 2008 at 11:21AM
More Discussions
Ozark Chinquapin(Chinkapin)
Anyone have this variety of Chestnut, Castanea pumila,...
razorback33
Whatever happened to Springfield Seed?
Not sure that's the right name but the one that was...
christie_sw_mo
Rainfall ?
Hi everyone. What amounts of rainfall have you had...
dirtguy50 SW MO z6a
winter gardening
How many peaple garden thruout the winter in the Ozarks?...
strongeagle
Sorted Garden Seeds
I finally did it and am very proud of myself. I even...
gldno1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™