variation on lasagna method?

yardmartyrMay 12, 2009

I will be smothering large areas of my grass to make decorative beds. Some I will plant with perennial flowers, and for those I plan to use the full-on lasagna method. But other areas I'm going to leave empty (like behind the garage, for example). So here's my question: since I won't be planting those areas, is there some abbreviated lasagna method I could use, something without so many layers? And then that brings me to another question. I want to cover those same areas with something decorative, but keep in mind that I'll have to rake lots of maple leaves off that surface material come autumn, so it should be something fairly stable. So any suggestions for what to cover those beds with? Thanks. (Btw, I also posted this on the Design forum, just in case.)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dchall_san_antonio(8 San Antonio)

I smothered some bermuda a couple years ago with 2 inches of sand and 2 inches of shredded bark mulch. Is that the sort of thing you had in mind for 'abbreviated?'

Watch your drainage if you are going to add solids (like sand or top soil). I was restoring the garden after a prolonged construction project. For me, sand was needed to bring the soil level up and keep water from draining toward my house.

Can you blow leaves off instead of raking?

Bookmark   May 12, 2009 at 12:35PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yardmartyr

Ah, I hadn't considered a leaf blower. That would make things easy if I covered the area with rocks or chips, which are some of the things I'm thinking about.

Bookmark   May 12, 2009 at 12:50PM
More Discussions
Best Organic Weed Control Ideas?
Hello, I am doing a project in which the objective...
tigger033
Thatch Problem?
I'll be having the lawn aerated next week and I was...
nickrosesn
Objective Proof for Organic vs. Non-organic?
I have always been in the camp of, "Feed the soil,...
chaoticut
snow mold
As the snow melted this spring snow mold appeared on...
kimmq
Kimmsr...
Kimmsr, I should mention that I have an acre of lawn...
Aggranduser
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™