I'm Doing a Lavender Happy Dance!!!

missfourseasonsFebruary 22, 2009

Believe it or not (and I am not quite believing it yet), but I have a bunch of lavender seedlings starting....I threw the seeds into a pot and with my bad track record I was just hoping for the best... So far, so good! It's the best I've been able to manage so far with this stupid plant!

Now the true test... will I kill them gain? Stay tuned...that is yet to be seen ...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
christie_sw_mo(Z6)

Yipee! Take good care of them. Are you growing them inside or outside?
I haven't grown lavender from seed, just plants. I've collected seeds from mine a couple times but never did anything with them. I love lavender though. It blooms a long time and attracts butterflies pretty good. I should try to collect seeds again this summer.

Bookmark   February 22, 2009 at 7:29AM
gldno1

Find a hot, dry place and mix in sand with the soil. They must have good drainage and keep leaves and mulch away from them. All this is from a person who over the years has only been able to grow one healthy lavender and it died last year after a severe pruning! I planted another right beside it....keeping my fingers crossed. My seed is still in the frig....packet said to chill. I have never done that before and am thinking about getting it out now.
Why would a Mediterranean plant need winter chilling?

Bookmark   February 22, 2009 at 7:42AM
helenh(z6 SW MO)

Someone on another forum could grow lavender and not monarda; my monarda trys to take over. I thought when I read that - it is hard to fight your climate.

Bookmark   February 22, 2009 at 11:24AM
missfourseasons

I have them outside, Christie. I should have done a pot for the inside, which is cooler because of the air con, but the cat would have killed them for sure...

Gladno: Thank you so much for the advice. I know exactly where they should go now. My new question is, can use beach sand and should I wash out the salt or just leave it? Not really sure what "acqualine" soil is...but it sounds salty :) All I know is that it's poor soil and right now they have sprouted in a pot of Miracle Grow potting soil. I know I'm going to have to "dirty" that up somehow...

Bookmark   February 25, 2009 at 4:56AM
gldno1

I would probably wash the sand.

Bookmark   February 25, 2009 at 5:09AM
christie_sw_mo(Z6)

There are lists of "salt tolerant plants" on the internet. I looked at a couple and didn't see lavender listed. I agree you should rinse the sand. Do you think your soil is salty also? Maybe that's why you're having trouble growing it.

It might help to grow it in a raised bed or a container.

Bookmark   February 25, 2009 at 6:48AM
helenh(z6 SW MO)

Lavender does not like acid soil I've read. Are you saying your soil is alkaline or are you trying to make it more alkaline for the lavender? Egg shells slowly make the soil more alkaline. I would leave it in the soil less mix in a pot. I can't grow lavender either, but I chalk it up to climate.

Bookmark   February 25, 2009 at 10:52AM
More Discussions
Joplin Globe column for Sunday Feb 8
I keep forgetting to post my column on here. Hope you...
mosswitch
A Sample of My Country-Style Gardening
This combo is all self-seeding annuals: Salvia farinacea;...
gldno1
some projects
rebuilt steps
mocountryboys
winter gardening
How many peaple garden thruout the winter in the Ozarks?...
strongeagle
Breaking up new ground for garden
I am wanting to expand my garden in a couple of years...
mission16
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™