first time SBM user - Wow

iahawkz4(z5 IA)May 19, 2008

I thought I'd post my experience with using SBM for the first time.

Fantastic, unbelievable, looks awesome!

I've been working on my 3 year old, new construction, compacted clay lawn, trying to get a lush lawn.

I went organic last year with alfalfa meal and Milorganite. It looked ok at times but I never had the thick, dark green I wanted.

This spring I put down 20lbs / 1000 ft2 of soybean meal about a month ago and now my lawn is as thick and dark green looking as the best of them.

It looks better than all but a few of the most heavily fertilized, chem lawns.

I found out that SBM can kill the lawn if you spill a bunch. My spreader was in the 'open' position when I refilled it once and it spilled a lot onto the lawn. I scooped up as much as I could but since my grass is tall I couldn't get all of it.

It looks like a spot where dog urine will kill the grass and immediately around the area it is super dark and lush.

The SBM in the spill area became thick, viscous and smells like s***.

Other than the one spill area it looks great. I'm sure our wet and cool spring weather helped, too, but I've never seen my lawn so green.

I'm absolutely sold on using SBM. I'm glad I found this board and learned about using grains.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
alorganic(8AL)

congrats....I had the exact same thing happen on my bermuda when filling the spreader...the spot was dead in the spill area.

Bookmark   May 19, 2008 at 12:56PM
garett

yah i think that what happens if you put too much... its blocking the sun, etc. i think it has the effect of mulch, or having a lot of thatch. and then of course it takes longer to break down. maybe you could try and rake it around if its still piled up there. or rake it and spread it if you spill it in the future.

Bookmark   May 19, 2008 at 2:17PM
damutha

I have a similar issue with an unfortunately large area near my sidewalk from CGM---my spreader tipped over (it's a steep hill there), and I tried to spread the excess CGM around with a rake. I apparently failed, as the grass is completely dead there, and the flies are buzzing.

Bookmark   May 24, 2008 at 10:38PM
lou_midlothian_tx(z8 DFW, Tx)

You could have used leaf blower to get the excess out.

Bookmark   May 25, 2008 at 10:17AM
More Discussions
Basic Outline to Follow for Organic Lawn Care
I have made earlier post describing the problems I...
claga
Application rates of organic fertilizer
This year I have mainly been fertilizing with Agway...
pushmower38
Increasing height of celebration bermuda
Our lawn was sodded with bermuda celebration a bit...
trussin.22
Thanks for the Great Looking Lawn! :D
Just wanted to say thanks to this group for the advice...
raymondo17
High % OM & Compaction/Hydrotropic
My front & back lawn have been 100% organic for...
sc77
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™