The All Important Question About Clover

CPTKMay 14, 2013

The all important question about clover is: does clover share the nitrogen it fixes with nearby plants while it is still alive? At first it seemed like a nobrainer that it did; after all, sharing nitrogen forms the whole basis for the notion of a clover lawn. However, as I researched it a little bit, I discovered that there is actually quite a bit of disagreement on the issue. I have found more than one article stating that the fixed nitrogen only serves the clover plant (until it dies and its roots, stem, and leaves degrade into the soil).

I've found enough conflicting views on this matter that I'm no longer 100% sure I want to plant a clover lawn. What are your thoughts/expertise on this?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
enigma7(6)

My personal experience is that the only benefits to your lawn (and specifically the grass) are it will fill in bare/thin spots which will help with water retention in times of drought, and if you discharge your clippings it will feed the lawn through decomposition (this is probably it's biggest asset and answers your original question [plant is still alive but the cut portions will feed the soil]). But that's about it. Great for bees, great for having a green "lawn" without much work and little/no fertilizer, but it will crowd out grass if there are soil issues (compaction, lack of nutrients, etc.), and I personally don't like the look during flowering season.

Bookmark   May 17, 2013 at 6:56AM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

Everything I have seen over the years tells me that the nodules of Nitrogen that legumes (clover) fix on their roots is not available until the plant either dies out or goes dormant.

Bookmark   May 17, 2013 at 7:14AM
CPTK

So I take it you're not a proponent of clover lawns?

Bookmark   May 17, 2013 at 2:22PM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

Do not misinterpret what I wrote. I have been an advocate for White Dutch Clover in lawns for years, a common addition to grass seed when I was growing up until Dow Chemical developed a plant poison that killed it.

Bookmark   May 18, 2013 at 7:44AM
ken_mce(zone 4, NY)

The all important question about clover is: does clover share the nitrogen it fixes with nearby plants while it is still alive?

1.) If you mow it, it does.

2.) If it doesn't share, what is the life expectancy of a clover?

Bookmark   June 15, 2013 at 10:06AM
newtxan

Depending on where you are, don't many clovers grow as annuals? If so, you're getting nitrogen released into the soil every year as the plants freeeze and die. (Here in central Texas, it seems to start in late winter, then dies off in the heat of summer.)

Bookmark   June 18, 2013 at 5:44PM
More Discussions
Planting Clover Stolons (or Any Stolons Really)
Has anyone ever tried to transplant clover or a stoloniferous...
CPTK
Best Organic Weed Control Ideas?
Hello, I am doing a project in which the objective...
Tigger033
overseeding help !
Hi All, I have a 5000 sft lawn with tall fescue, in...
gmanar
Thatch Problem?
I'll be having the lawn aerated next week and I was...
nickrosesn
Increasing height of celebration bermuda
Our lawn was sodded with bermuda celebration a bit...
trussin.22
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™