Organic solution for poison ivy/oak

nnsgardenMay 13, 2007

I have a couple questions...first, yesterday, my neighbor pointed out to me where some poison ivy and poison oak are trying to climb their way up our shared chain link fence. Very nearby, I have some ornamental grasses and a hydrangea, so I want to keep the soil good for them. How can I zap the poison ivy/oak organically without harming the nearby plants that I want to keep? I've heard vinegar kills weed, but would it really work for poison ivy/oak?

Also, does anyone have any good way to keep the weeds down in between pavers, driveway cracks, etc? Do you just keep spraying them with vinegar again and again?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dchall_san_antonio(8 San Antonio)

Vinegar will take the tops off the plants. Repeated applications will eventually exhaust the supply of nutrients in the roots and the plant will die.

Between pavers I use a weed whacker.

I suppose goats are out of the question, huh?

Bookmark   May 13, 2007 at 3:14PM
ronalawn82(z9FL)

These two plants are often mis-identified. The Virginia creeper has often been called poison ivy and only twice in about 20 instances has poison oak been accurately identified to me. In those two cases I was able to cut off the plant at ground level and carefully remove it. There was a little rhyme that went, "leaves of three, let them be."

Bookmark   May 13, 2007 at 5:26PM
tmelrose

If the area isn't too large you might try smothering the poison ivy with an old pond liner or roofing underlayment. Keep it covered anywhere from a week to a month or two and the heat and lack of air/sun might kill it.

Bookmark   May 13, 2007 at 9:57PM
joepyeweed(5b IL)

I was going to mention virginia creeper also. It has leaves in clumps of five and is often misidentified as Poision Oak.

Even though I try to be organic as much as possible, I will break out weed killer (Ortho Brush B Gone) for Poison Ivy in certain areas. I am very allergic. I've tried cutting it off, but invariably it gets on my tools or my clothes or my dog and I end up getting a severe (and I mean hospitalized for blood poisoning) rash. So I let it be, if its growing in areas where I won't be in contact with it. But if it creeps up my shed or a tree in the mown area of my property.

I take off my organic hat and put on the chemical one.

Bookmark   May 17, 2007 at 10:11AM
nnsgarden

Thanks everyone, for your advice. I will google virginia creeper and try to figure out what it is that I actually have back there.

Joepyeweed, my husband has also ended up in the ER with blood poisoning from getting into poison ivy, so I understand wanting to get rid of it asap. I have tried to keep him away from this back area until I figure out what to do with it back there!

Bookmark   May 19, 2007 at 5:06PM
More Discussions
Application rates of organic fertilizer
This year I have mainly been fertilizing with Agway...
pushmower38
PLEASE HELP - identify this weed
Hello all, I live in North Texas and just started organic...
steelerdan
Liquid soil conditioners
Two particular companies have websites that sell liquid...
stan6
High % OM & Compaction/Hydrotropic
My front & back lawn have been 100% organic for...
sc77
Timothy vs Alfalfa
I mistakenly applied Timothy pellets to my lawn instead...
rachel67
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™