Begonia started sprouting... will it die back?

started_with_bean(Zone 5--MA)November 17, 2009

I'd cut the tops off a couple of tuber begonias 2 weeks ago, when we had our first cold snap, and brought the whole pot into the enclosed back porch. No water since October, and the pot is pretty much dried out. However, it has started sprouting where I had cut it down to just above the dirt level! Just wondering if it'll stop when it gets really cold, and is the tuber viable for overwintering? I was just trying to store it in the pot like someone else had suggested. My basement gets too warm, but my front 3 season porch would get down to 40F. Should I dig it out now, or just leave it in the pot to experiment? Any thoughts?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bill_ri_z6b(Zone 6B)

Mine has been overwintered in a pot for 5 or 6 years now. I keep it in my unheated sunroom, at floor level so it stays cool. It may get near 40 at floor level on a really cold night. It has never sprouted until spring......maybe April. By the time it's getting significant growth, it's generally warm enough to bring it out, but even if not, the sunroom is warm enough day and night by then. The only thing is that mine is still outside, and I never bring it in before a frost or light freeze. I will probably be bringing it in in another week or so.

Bookmark   November 17, 2009 at 3:45PM
More Discussions
Landscape Design Council Awards at Boston Flower & Garden Show
I received a press release from Frances Wheeler regarding...
bostongardens
No spray cherry, apple, and pear tree recommendations?
I have larger area of my yard, where at some point...
agurkas
How do I add a zone to my user name?
I've been trying to edit my profile in "Your Houzz"...
claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
Mason Bee House - - Where to position?
I could go to the Bee Forum, but thought I would ask...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Snowdrops
Yes, I know you think they're just cute little white...
Steve Massachusetts Zone 5b
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™