Can I get rid of Poa annua?

mes08May 3, 2007

It seems that I have quite a bit of Poa annua in my lawn this year - I just started an organic program this spring and I am getting nervous that the Poa annua will eventually overtake my lawn. I have applied CGM in March and just applied Alpha Meal in April. I wonder if I encouraged the growth. I plan on overseeding this fall - if I continue to practice good lawn care habits, will my grass eventually out compete the Poa annua or will it overtake my lawn? My lawn looks pretty good aside from this Poa annua, I just don't know how to get rid of it.

Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
subywu(z5 neOH KBG)

It is hard to fight poa with an organic program. Overseeding is one technique by providing competition, however if your seed germinates slower than the poa annua seed that is waiting to germinate in the fall, ie. kbg, you are fighting a losing battle--poa seedlings will be up and running before your seed even starts to germinate! If you have dense patches of poa, I would recommend you round those up (yes, chemical) now...less seeds to spring up later. And I don't care what anyone says about CGM, it is completely inferior to chemical preemergents by a wide margin. If you have diffuse poa throughout but not dense, it may not be as much of a problem and a healthy dense turf may outcompete it. I wish you good luck in any case.

Bookmark   May 3, 2007 at 5:00PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bestlawn(6)

I don't know of any reports confirming CGM prevents PA germination, especially since a lot of people don't really seem to understand PA is entirely opposite from usual pre-m practices. Being that I only recently returned to the forums regarding lawn care following a two-year absence, I don't know if anyone has reported success with fall applications of CGM. You have to know controlling PA and overseeding is not possible using organic methods. If you want to consider putting off seeding until the fall of 2008, you can expect some success, but, that's only if CGM is effective. As I said, I really don't know.

Bookmark   May 4, 2007 at 8:07PM
More Discussions
Questions about overseeding
Hi all, soon I will be overseeding my Tall Fescue with...
oberci
Basic Outline to Follow for Organic Lawn Care
I have made earlier post describing the problems I...
claga
Application rates of organic fertilizer
This year I have mainly been fertilizing with Agway...
pushmower38
Thanks for the Great Looking Lawn! :D
Just wanted to say thanks to this group for the advice...
raymondo17
Liquid soil conditioners
Two particular companies have websites that sell liquid...
stan6
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™