Laying down sod on dog run

frehattonMay 21, 2013

Hi all, I have a space of about 3' wide by 20' long to the side of my house that I am closing in for a dog run. There were some plants there but we took them out and now is just bare soil. We just bought the house and started organic with the rest of the yard this year. I was wondering if there is anything I could do to help the sod grow in that space since that area is going to get heavy pee on a daily basis (I have three dogs). I read somewhere that I should put down powdered agricultural limestone before the sod to help with the ph, anyone has experience with this?
Also read that I should put down a high traffic turgrass like bermuda because it would be easier to keep up with. I think we have St. Augustine in the rest of the yard so I'm not sure how to deal with Bermuda. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

Before applying lime to any soil have a good, reliable soil test done to see if that is really needed. For a good turf stand that soil needs both Calcium and Magnesium, in balance. However, trying to grow turf grasses where dogs run daily is a real chore, less because of the urine and feces as because of the running around the do.

Bookmark   May 22, 2013 at 12:17PM
More Discussions
Cornmeal for Brown Patch Disease Works
Hi, I just wanted to share that I had Brown Patch Disease...
bettyfb
beneficial nematodes for grubs and cool weather
andyx123
PLEASE HELP - identify this weed
Hello all, I live in North Texas and just started organic...
steelerdan
creeping charlie chump
OK, once and for all, is there an organic solution...
yardmartyr
overseeding help !
Hi All, I have a 5000 sft lawn with tall fescue, in...
gmanar
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™