What's Your Experience with the Rhode Island Garden Show?

marinablissNovember 10, 2010

Winter hasn't even arrived on our doorsteps, but we don't need permission to dream of spring:) What's your experience with the Rhode Island Flower & Garden Show? (The theme this year is 'Gardening with Heart'/partnership w/American Heart Assoc.) How does it compare with some of the other major ones in New England, namely Boston and Hartford?

Here is a link that might be useful: Travel New England & The Caribbean

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
carol6ma_7ari(zones 6 & 7a)

Boston's is usually bigger and has more vendors too. But I went to the RI show last year and enjoyed it thoroughly, saw some good plant exhibits, bought stuff, ate decent food from the food area. If there's nothing else happening that week, go.

Carol

Bookmark   November 10, 2010 at 3:23PM
ginny12

Rhode Island's is a nice breath of spring if you don't live too far away but not worth driving two hours each way as I did.

The original Boston show was cancelled due to funds but there is a new, smaller version that is very nice, again, if you live within an hour or so. Hope they can increase the size. This was a high point of my garden year--and a lot of others too.

Bookmark   November 10, 2010 at 4:09PM
suecirish(6 SE MA)

I've been to the RI show the past four years. I don't live very far away at all. The first year I was of course in awe. But I have to say that, to me, each year has gotten a little less impressive. Fewer displays, fewer vendors, fewer programs. I will probably still go again this year, but it seems to be reflecting the wave of the economy at the moment.

Bookmark   November 11, 2010 at 11:21AM
diggingthedirt

I really love the RI show. There are often good presentations by garden writers, so I pick a day when there's at least one talk I want to see. The exhibits are less overwhelming than at the Boston show (when it was going strong) which leaves you wishing for more but is usually just enough to make it seem like spring is on its way.

I've seen some of my favorite garden writers at this show, and always find a new book or two that I just have to have. The "marketplace" is fun as well.

The lecture schedule isn't on line yet, but I'll start checking it in January.

Bookmark   November 11, 2010 at 10:23PM
sedum37(Z5 MA)

I agree with DTD - the talks at RI are pretty good. I too look at what talks are being held and plan to go the best day for the talks. Providence has some nice restaurants and the driving/getting there isn't as hectic as Boston.

Bookmark   November 12, 2010 at 4:21PM
More Discussions
Bristol County Conservation District 2014 Plant Sale
Now is the time the Massachusetts County Conservation...
edlincoln
Flora at THBG
I think this exhibition of flowers and flower arrangements...
Steve Massachusetts Zone 5b
How to change houzz background
I just saw this on another forum: http://forums2.gardenweb.com/discussions/2854079/installing-stylish-to-change-houzz-background#14392444 It...
claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
Something to brighten up this horrible winter
I was in Palm Springs a couple of weeks ago. Maybe...
bill_ri_z6b
Any Block Island gardeners here?
I've never seen any postings from anyone gardening...
bill_ri_z6b
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™