My first rain barrel!

juggler(z5Mich)May 26, 2010

My brother and I finished putting together our first rain barrel. And the weather man is calling for thunder bangers tomorrow! The blue plastic barrel was acquired at a old engine swap meet. We turned it upside down, bored a hole into what is now the top, this is the inlet. We used the 3/4" threads in the bung, and threaded plastic PVC parts into that. Then a PVC to brass fitting, into which we installed a brass spigot. Also, a 2" overflow was installed. We used fiberglass window screen at the inlet, and at the end of the overflow. I dropped a 1/4 "doughnut" of a Mosquito Dunk in the tank today. Hopefully it will work as planned. Just waiting for the predicted rain tomorrow!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
youngblood_2004

Looks great. Nice work! How did you fasten the overflow? I'm eager to build one too.

Bookmark   May 26, 2010 at 11:49PM
juggler(z5Mich)

We "modified" some PCV pieces to make our own 2" bulkhead fitting. We used bicycle inner tubes as gaskets. (You can see some of the "gasket" at the top of the overflow tube.)

Bookmark   May 26, 2010 at 11:57PM
youngblood_2004

Thanks for the tip!

Bookmark   May 27, 2010 at 9:12PM
juggler(z5Mich)

Got my first barrel full of rainwater this morning. No leaks, no runs, no drips!

Bookmark   June 2, 2010 at 10:55PM
youngblood_2004

I just got a barrel. I'm ready to try to make my first rain barrel too. I'm going with the same design as you presented. How did you attach the spigot to the bottom of the barrel? I heard that you can get pvc that is threaded for the bung plug. Have you looked into that?
Thanks!

Bookmark   June 24, 2010 at 11:06PM
juggler(z5Mich)

Yup! That's how I mounted the spigot. The bung has standard 3/4" pipe thread molded into it. You can find everything you need at Lowes or Home Depot. Remember to post pics when your done! :)

Bookmark   June 26, 2010 at 1:03AM
More Discussions
DC Please Post Your Organic Lawn FAQs
I am considering going to organic fertilizers, DC could...
claga
High % OM & Compaction/Hydrotropic
My front & back lawn have been 100% organic for...
sc77
Thatch Problem?
I'll be having the lawn aerated next week and I was...
nickrosesn
Application rates of organic fertilizer
This year I have mainly been fertilizing with Agway...
pushmower38
Questions about overseeding
Hi all, soon I will be overseeding my Tall Fescue with...
oberci
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™