Atrazine on Organic Lawn

xploitMay 7, 2009

I have recently started using ogranic products on my lawn (compost, SBM). The lawn has a lot of white clover and Dichondra. A lot of people say that CGM is a better fertilizer than a Herbicide, so I'm not gonna bother spending money on that. Since, this is a Flortam lawn my only option aside from ripping the lawn out is Atrazine.

If my understanding is correct, the compost helps increase biological activity in the soil and the fertilizer like SBM feed the biological organizms which in turn help provide the NPK to the grass. I assume Atrazine will kill the biological organisms and another layer of compost will need to be applied after the atrazine; before I can start using the SBM again. Is this correct?

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

Atrazine is not an acceptable product for anyone that is organic and its use is banned throughout the European Union because of the environmental harm it does.

Bookmark   May 8, 2009 at 8:48AM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Don't forget that atrazine can cause significant damage to trees and other woody ornamentals.

Bookmark   May 8, 2009 at 2:54PM
xploit

I know of the consequences of atrazine. Unfortunately, I have way too many broad leaf weeds that cannot be hand pulled, and I don't have the funds to rip out sections of Weeds/Turf and re-sod with flortam. I guess I'll just have to try atrazine with the organic fertilizer and see how the results turn out.

Bookmark   May 10, 2009 at 2:34PM
dchall_san_antonio(8 San Antonio)

Frankly you'll be hard pressed to find anyone here with Atrazine experience. If you ask your question in the Lawns forum you'll get more help.

Bookmark   May 10, 2009 at 9:43PM
More Discussions
DC Please Post Your Organic Lawn FAQs
I am considering going to organic fertilizers, DC could...
claga
creeping charlie chump
OK, once and for all, is there an organic solution...
yardmartyr
Why not use herbicide to control Ground Ivy?
I have always practiced organic lawn care. I mow high...
tomp123
Is It to Late in the to Apply Organic Fertilizers in Zone 5b
The condition of my lawn: The lawn is thick, but lacks...
claga
Liquid soil conditioners
Two particular companies have websites that sell liquid...
stan6
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™