Flowering peach bush?

nopeekingApril 28, 2010

I'm from Canada and visiting my boyfriend at the moment in NW Oklahoma. I've been making a few flowerbeds, and a friendly neighbor gave me what she calls a flowering peach bush. She said the fruit is edible and tasty. I'd never heard of it so I looked it up on the internet. All I can find is peach trees. Anyone here know what she's talking about? Perhaps it has another name? I also should mention that the small plant she gave me has longish leaves similar to a peach tree. There are no blossoms on it at the moment.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Okiedawn OK Zone 7

Nopeeking,

Hope you're enjoying your trip to Oklahoma.

I've never heard of a flowering peach bush, and my best guess is that she gave you a Bonfire Peach, which is a mostly ornamental genetic dwarf peach. The fruit are edible, but I'm not sure they get very large. It is a very pretty tree....I've seen it in nurseries. The one you have may not be a Bonfire, but if not, it may be something very similar.

I've linked a website that has photos of Bonfire peach.

Dawn

Here is a link that might be useful: Bonfire Peach at MOBOT

Bookmark   April 29, 2010 at 7:21AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
alexinoklahoma(6.5)

I've seen the Bonfire (or similar) labeled as "Bush Peach" or such at Lowe's in Shawnee at a few other box-stores (a few years ago). Its a genetic 'variation' (cultivar) of typical peaches. Looked like the bush-type has more-layered branchings rather than a somewhat open structure of typical species, but I have never seen a full-size one irl. Its not like they are super-popular from what I can tell (?).

HTH

Bookmark   April 29, 2010 at 9:43AM
More Discussions
Pictures to warm us up
So far I have 20 flats- a few plants I lost to applejuice....
luvncannin
Zone 7 Ranunculus???
Does anyone in 7a have any experience growing ranunculus...
oklahomegrown
Seedy Saturday Seed Swap
Seedy Saturday Seed Swap. February 28, 2015 When I...
duckcreekgardens
Anyone ever read the Soil forum?
Hahaha, I went over to go check out how they were doing...
Lisa_H
Ark. traveler tomato
Some one sent me a few seeds last yr. and I didn't...
sorie6
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™