Growing Celery?

Sunny_Dee(6a KCMO)February 15, 2012

I have never grown celery before. I was wondering how easy it is to grow from seed in our area? Is it a plant that you prefer to direct seed or transplant?

Is is cost effective to grow it in my garden *organically* vs buying it at the store?

Thanks guys!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sunnyside1(z6/SW Mo.)

SunnyD, I've never tried growing celery-- it seemed such a lot of work, hilling, etc. and I don't think you can preserve it in any way. But I may be wrong. I guess you could can cream of celery soup and maybe freeze it chopped?
A big bunch is $0.98 here and I keep it carefully for awhile, so I don't know if the labor would be worth it -- at least it wouldn't be for me.
Send us photos if you do it and describe, okay? I never say never.
Sunny

Bookmark   February 17, 2012 at 9:49AM
Sunny_Dee(6a KCMO)

I tend to agree with you SunnySide. I guess I just wanted some confirmation. Thanks!

Bookmark   February 17, 2012 at 5:48PM
christie_sw_mo(Z6)

Well darn I was tempted by some seeds for a RED celery in one of the seed catalogs I was looking through but found this thread and now I'm thinking it would be too challenging for my brown thumb. I just thought it might be fun to grow and maybe a little ornamental. Has anyone tried to grow Red Giant or Red Venture?

Bookmark   December 31, 2012 at 10:50PM
GardenSpriteAnn

I've never tried celery from seed. I did plant some celery butts and got a few tiny leaves to throw on salads before the frost took them.

Bookmark   January 1, 2013 at 11:10AM
helenh(z6 SW MO)

Christie I would say go for it, but since I have never seen celery in a garden here or at the farmers' market I'm afraid it might be too hard. I think you are in the planting mood. Pretty soon I will have something growing on the top of my refrigerator, but I am trying to hold off until Feb.

Bookmark   January 1, 2013 at 1:24PM
helenh(z6 SW MO)

Ann you said you didn't get catalogs. If you go online you can sign up for some. That is what Christie is doing on these cold cloudy days. I recognize the symptoms.

Bookmark   January 1, 2013 at 1:29PM
christie_sw_mo(Z6)

lol I'm certainly showing some symptoms. I think it's memory loss mostly. I see the lovely photos in catalogs and I forget all about how weedy my garden was over the summer and about insect damage and things like that. I'm getting a bit foggy on how much work it was to drag the hose around last summer in an effort to keep my plants alive and I've totally forgotten the ones that kicked the bucket or most of them anyway.

Bookmark   January 1, 2013 at 7:03PM
More Discussions
Cold November
Accuweather is predicting a low of 12 for Monday. Brrrr Do...
christie_sw_mo
ordered seeds for cucurbita ficifolia -Shark Fin Melon
After spending some time on Gardenweb and Google doing...
christie_sw_mo
Swans
Saw these yesterday in the field behind ours and then...
christie_sw_mo
Craft fairs
I will have company visiting the week of Oct. 14. They...
helenh
looking for certain pepper
Howdy, Ozark gardeners. I am looking for seeds of a...
strongeagle
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™