Cattle Panel for Pole Beans

gldno1February 20, 2007

It seems that a couple of seasons ago on another forum there was a discussion about using cattle panels to grow things on in the garden.

I did this with pole beans last year and will definitely do it again. I just need more panels.

I think you could raise lettuce inside the hoop....maybe there would be enough sun on the south end. I may give that a try too. It was lovely standing upright in the shade pulling off handfuls of beans.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
JamesY40(z7a)

I have never thought of using cattle panels as shown in the picture. I also use cattle panels but I cut the panel into two sections. I drove in t-posts and fastened the panel. I do have one panel left out back that I was wondering what to do with. I may try beans this year with it.
james

Bookmark   February 20, 2007 at 7:57PM
oakleif(z6 AR)

DH made round tomato cages out of cattle panels
and we also grew cucumbers,minnasota midget cantelopes and i used them for morning glorys.
vickie

Bookmark   February 20, 2007 at 10:19PM
Violet_Z6(6a)

Cattle panels are fabulous. They're cheap and will last a lifetime. There are many ways to use them...

Bookmark   February 21, 2007 at 3:12AM
sweetwm007(6 b)

great thread. i really enjoy seeing innovative uses of different material in the garden.

i am planning on using some catttle panels for climbing roses bent in an arch like a hoop house. if i ever finish building all these raised beds!!!!!!!!!!!!!

william- in yellville where it was 70 yesterday!

Bookmark   February 21, 2007 at 10:41AM
oakleif(z6 AR)

Violet, i liked the A frame shape you used. What is the name of those beautiful pink roses? Are they Antique roses?
vickie

Bookmark   February 21, 2007 at 10:25PM
JamesY40(z7a)

Violet, I'm impressed by your creativity. I too use them with t-posts in my raised beds.

Bookmark   February 21, 2007 at 10:50PM
Violet_Z6(6a)

Alas, these are not of my own garden. I have one 16 foot cattle panel cut in half and each half is used as a trellis. Simple.

I have another that I'd like to make an arch out of for melons this year. We'll see. But photos always easier to understand than trying to describe them.

Bookmark   February 22, 2007 at 2:50PM
oakleif(z6 AR)

Violet, i agree abt pictures explaining more than words can. I can't put up pictures but DD can when she sets her puter up right. She takes after her mom and is a procrastinator.

My only problem with pictures is after looking at the main object I'm going to spot something in a far corner that facsinates me. LOL
vickie

Bookmark   February 23, 2007 at 11:00PM
murkwell

Where does one buy cattle panels. I don't see them at home depot, everything I've seen there has 4" holes or smaller.

Bookmark   June 6, 2007 at 3:56PM
lilion

You might need to look at a farm supply store. Easy to find in the midwest, but I couldn't say for Portland.

Bookmark   June 6, 2007 at 4:50PM
christie_sw_mo(Z6)

Bringing up an old thread. : )
Glenda - Did you grow pole beans on arches again this summer? I'm wondering if you got 16 or 20 foot panels and where. I was trying to picture how tall each would be if they were bent into an arch. I bet there's a math equasion for that. lol
Also - did most of the beans hang down on the underneath side of the arch or were most on the outside?

Bookmark   December 5, 2010 at 4:57PM
gldno1

Christie, it is the only way I grow beans; I don't bother with bush beans anymore.

I use the 15' panels and if you make the arch 6 feet wide, it will be tall enough to walk under...that is my technique.

I drive two steel t-posts in first. Then with help place the first panel up next to it, bend it and while it is being held in place on the 6 foot line, drive the second row of steel posts (2). From then on you can use just one post where the panels meet or slightly overlap. I intend to do one for the new garden next year.

Bookmark   December 6, 2010 at 7:25AM
gldno1

I buy them from Race Bros and try to catch them on sale!

Bookmark   December 6, 2010 at 7:28AM
helenh(z6 SW MO)

The picture with the pink roses and the long zig zag trellis is killing me. Nothing I made would be that plumb. I just checked my own windows photo gallery when I added a picture of my friend Santa and it is too painful to look at spring pictures this early. Winter hasn't even started officially. I have been bad - buying hyacinth bulbs on sale - more of them. When will I get them planted? It will have to warm up considerably.

Bookmark   December 6, 2010 at 10:50AM
More Discussions
Saw the first signs today......
And SOOO excited.....spotted daffodils and ornithogalums...
mocountryboys
Merry Christmas!
I hope all my gardening friends have a wonderful Christmas....
gldno1
Ozarkers locations
I think it is time to start a new thread on where we...
aniseb
Rainfall ?
Hi everyone. What amounts of rainfall have you had...
dirtguy50 SW MO z6a
Elderly gardeners
Dup post...didn't show up for me and I reposted...pls...
dbarron
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™