Yellow Fungus?

habiem(5)May 28, 2007

Anyone know what this is? If it's bad (doesn't look good), how do I get rid of it? It literally wasn't there this morning, but popped up late afternoon and got that big, that fast...

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bpgreen(5UT)

What's in the mulch you've got spread around there? My guess is that that's some kind of fungus that is helping to decompose the mulch.

I don't think it's a problem, other than the fact that it looks a little odd.

    Bookmark   May 28, 2007 at 11:45PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
habiem(5)

No clue. The mulch has been there for months, although that's normally where I set the dog poo until it goes out in the trash, so I fugess it could be related to that somehow. Just freaked me out with how quickly it grew....

    Bookmark   May 29, 2007 at 9:43AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dao4686(8 Houston, TX)

This stuff is harmless. Read about it on this link but don't use his control method.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gardenline

    Bookmark   May 29, 2007 at 11:39AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Not a mold, not a fungus, but is certainly one of the 'creatures' we call slime molds. (confusing, I know)
They creep along surfaces, feeding on organic compounds, but actually probably do little to help anything decompose. They don't stick around long enough. Plus, they'll move across totally inert surfaces like your siding, rocks, sidewalks, etc.

Completely harmless to anything, you should not spray or pour solutions that could contaminate the soil. Spray it with water or remove it with a shovel.

    Bookmark   May 29, 2007 at 12:53PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rj_hythloday(8A VA)

I had this happen in one of my raised beds this week. Same bed two spots a few feet apart. Grew overnight to about 2ft square. I removed it w/ a hand shovel and put it in a cooking compost pile. I covered the areas w/ corn meal incase it was fungus, which I guess it isn't. I just didn't want it to take over my cucurbits.

    Bookmark   May 12, 2009 at 12:13PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dchall_san_antonio(8 San Antonio)

Funny how the slimiest gobs of goo are the least important. Dog barf fungus is another one you can ignore and it goes away.

Having said that, my wife's African violet got a white, fluffy soil fungus and the soil became very acidic. The plant started to rot a the soil line. I treated it with milk and the plant pulled through.

    Bookmark   May 12, 2009 at 12:39PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

That is a slime mold commonly called "Dog Vomit Fungus" because that is what it looks like.

    Bookmark   May 12, 2009 at 9:09PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Nevermore44 - 6a

It is harmless.. but not that once it drys and browns.. that the slightest disturbance will cause it to puff ... like puff ball mushrooms.

Again usually not a problem, but i had a huge patch of it behind a bush in a corner area against my house.. i go to water around that area and the water caused it to puff out.. i had to back off the area because there was so much "puff" spores in the air... i assume it isn't the best breath to much in.

So now i just flip it upside down once it drys out. It is interesting though.. you can sometimes see bright orange versions too.

the end.

    Bookmark   May 13, 2009 at 8:52AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

This web site might provide some good information for those interested.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tom Volk on Slime Mold

    Bookmark   May 14, 2009 at 8:25PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
aehooper31_gmail_com

could this be dangerous for my dogs if they eat it? i scooped it out as soon as i found it, but we have a large back yard and my lab mixes eat everything they can find

    Bookmark   July 1, 2011 at 7:48AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

As Tom Volk writes in his article linked above, "There is no known danger to humans or other animals from inhaling the spores or ingesting this organism, although I don't think you will have a pleasant dining experience if you decide to try it-- I do not recommend it."
There is no reason to "scoop" this up and toss it, other then for cosmetic purposes.

    Bookmark   July 3, 2011 at 7:11AM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Thatch Problem?
I'll be having the lawn aerated next week and I was...
nickrosesn
Cow Manure
If I took fresh cow manure, made a tea out of it and...
srks72
Organic Lawn Care FAQ Cut Off?
The Organic Lawn Care FAQ seems to have gotten cut...
raymondo17
Planting Clover Stolons (or Any Stolons Really)
Has anyone ever tried to transplant clover or a stoloniferous...
CPTK
Objective Proof for Organic vs. Non-organic?
I have always been in the camp of, "Feed the soil,...
chaoticut
Sponsored Products
Palomina Antique Gold Ivory Floor and Table Lamp Set
Lamps Plus
Tufted Wingback Headboard
Grandin Road
Outdoor Yellow and White Geometric Wicker Seat Cushions (Set of 2)
Overstock.com
Fitzgerald Ottoman - Bentley Daisey Yellow
Joybird Furniture
A & L Furniture Yellow Pine Traditional English Garden Bench - 501-UNFINISHED
$279.99 | Hayneedle
Area Rug: Cypress Ivory 9' x 13'
Home Depot
New Khotan Azure Blue Pakistan Super Kazak 5'x6' Hand Knotted Oriental Rug H4054
BH Sun Inc
Domi Satin Nickel One-Light Halogen Wall Sconce with Bicolor Orange and Pina Gla
$157.50 | Bellacor
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™