A pea question for Violet

mulberryknobFebruary 20, 2009

That photo of the peas in the gutter is so cool. Do you slide them out into the garden?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Violet_Z6(6a)

Hi mulberryknob,

The technique is called "guttering". It protects the seeds from any living things moving thru the soil that would normally eat the seeds and since you use growing medium instead of normal ground soil, drainage is much better so they don't rot.

You actually take them out and transplant them. I know there are a lot of gardeners who think peas can not be transplanted, but they absolutely can. You just need to do it properly and at the right time.

Bookmark   February 20, 2009 at 7:25PM
helenh(z6 SW MO)

Do you use this method just for peas?

Bookmark   February 20, 2009 at 9:18PM
Violet_Z6(6a)

I forgot to mention:

Sweet peas germinate when the ground temperature is a uniform 55-65 degrees. Once germinated, the plants thrive at temperatures from 70 to 80 degrees. Above 85 degrees, they struggle. Start your plants six to eight weeks before you plan to transplant them.

helenh,
You can use this method for any seed starting. It's just another form of a container. In this case it lends itself to a row of peas.

If you're seed starting now, I do recommend, as others have, to visit the Winter Sowing Forum. Read the FAQ first. It's a method that works. It's more efficient than traditional methods in multiple ways.

Bookmark   February 20, 2009 at 9:49PM
More Discussions
Ozark Chinquapin(Chinkapin)
Anyone have this variety of Chestnut, Castanea pumila,...
razorback33
winter gardening
How many peaple garden thruout the winter in the Ozarks?...
strongeagle
Merry Christmas!
First winter and first Christmas here in Bella Vista...
sharbear50
ordered seeds for cucurbita ficifolia -Shark Fin Melon
After spending some time on Gardenweb and Google doing...
christie_sw_mo
my thoughts on peppers
I don't eat hot peppers but I have found that the horn...
helenh
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™