Rose Mulching after frost

carol6ma_7ari(zones 6 & 7a)November 6, 2010

This week a killing frost finally hit the south MA coast (hurray! No more eggplants!) so after I dug up the dead veggie plants, I put a light straw mulch around my 1-year-old antique climbing rose plants. Other mulches seemed too heavy. This is de-seeded cut straw. The rose plants which were all band size (2" x 6") in the spring, all show new growth, nice red leaves and thorns and even 2 flower buds on one. Questions: is the mulch OK? And should I cut off the buds so energy goes into the plants? It seems a shame not to enjoy the last roses of summer, albeit mid-November.

I'll ask on the antique roses forum but most of them are in CA and FL. I was hoping for a New England rose grower.

Carol

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
carol6ma_7ari(zones 6 & 7a)

I found, on a rose forum, answers & opinions about mulching roses. Most people around the country said "no mulch". But here in New England I want to at least protect the small baby rose plants from winter mud splash-up. So I got a bale of chopped straw - no seeds - and threw a bit of straw lightly around the rose plant stem, not packing it down.

Anybody else out there use chopped straw?

Carol

Bookmark   November 10, 2010 at 3:13PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
corunum z6 CT(6)

Just began using 'Simply Straw' this year as a mulch and as a pathway cover - thanks to runktrun mentioning it earlier this year. I gleaned advice from a rosarian recently who stated that she would not mulch roses here in central CT until at least Thanksgiving in order to have the plants benefit from as much rainfall/slush as possible before the ground freezes. Also learned that rose plants, in general, benefit from receiving 3.5 gallons of water per week. Additionally, the 3 of my 6 KO roses that have been deer-pruned are suffering a lack of height and growth because deer saliva poisons the plant. The plants not pruned by Bambi's mouth are 4' tall and blooming. I plan on mixing the seedless straw with my finely shredded leaf mulch and pack the little darlings for a long winter's nap right around turkey day - and after all the deer netting is in place!

I like using the straw, Carol, purportedly, as it decomposes, it'll boost the nitrogen level. Green is good.

Kindly,
Jane

Bookmark   November 10, 2010 at 3:52PM
More Discussions
What Trees in Your Yard Look Prettiest Now?
We tend to fixate on Spring blooms. What trees in your...
edlincoln
Any Block Island gardeners here?
I've never seen any postings from anyone gardening...
bill_ri_z6b
Winter weather in the kitchen - 2015 edition
This is the official thread to talk about (complain?)...
pixie_lou
Is your past content on GW missing?
Yesterday, I went looking for my old comments, to see...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Climbing hydrangea question
Green gardener here. This is kind of a silly question...
c_ coy 7aMA
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™