How to mow?
We laid down new sod (about 2500 sq.ft) and have a gardening service which does weekly mowing. The grass seems to be reasonably well established. I would like to make sure we are following good mowing practice for a healthy lawn. Would really appreciate some guidance on the following:
- Is it better to ask the gardener to use our mower as opposed to their mower? I thought this might be a good idea to prevent contamination. They use a bag mower powered by gasoline.
- How important is mulch mowing? Does this need a special mower? Or can the bag mower also do it?
- Is reel mower a better idea than my lawn guy's rotary mower? In the past, I have used a Brill Lexus and we liked it.
- Mowing height - is there a preferred mowing height? We have 2 kinds of grass.
Bolero plus - 90%bolero dwarf fescue & 10% blue grass
Shade Blend - Cayenne Tall Fescue, Dynasty Tall Fescue, Jasper II Creeping Red Fescue, Victory II Chewings Fescue & Blue Velvet Kentucky Bluegrass
- Watering & mowing- we will likely mow once a week. Is there any advice regarding watering and mowing? Water before or after mowing or avoid watering the day off etc? My gut instinct is to mow when the grass is not too wet and water after mowing to prevent disease.