CGM not pelletized

smitty5952June 5, 2007

We had a discussion in another thread about CGM that I could get locally for $10.75 for 50 lbs. But the CGM is not pelletized and I would need a lime spreader to put it on my lawn. I have never seen or used CGM as I have just started organic lawn care. What consistency would non-pelletized CGM be? Would it be similar to SBM? Could I use it in a regular broadcast spreader? Are there different types of CGM? This price sounds awfully low to me. Usually around $1/lb around here. What is a lime spreader?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gbig2(6)

Smitty, FYI
Glenn @ Triple M says his CGM should spread in the same way as Soybean meal spreads. According to him it should spread with a normal spreader.
I'm curious also smitty, anyone ever have problems spreading non pelletized CGM with a broadcast spreader?

Bookmark   June 6, 2007 at 2:38PM
deerslayer(Z5 NE IL KBG)

The CGM that I've used is nearly a powder...it's much more fine than SBM. Most broadcast spreaders can spread CGM. It's best to spread CGM when not windy.

-Deerslayer

Bookmark   June 6, 2007 at 6:48PM
texasredhead(z8Texas)

The only type of CGM I purchase is a fine grind and I spread it with a Republic EZ Spreader rotary. You will need to experiment a bit till you get the proper setting to apply at a rate of 20lbs. per 1,000 sq. ft. If you are applying CGM now, its main purpose will be as a fertilizer.

Bookmark   June 7, 2007 at 8:44AM
blip01(7, NJ)

smitty, where are you in PA. $10.75 is a great price for CGM for me, might be worth the drive.

I'm in South Jersey.

thanks!

Bookmark   June 8, 2007 at 10:11PM
blip01(7, NJ)

Just saw your location in another thread. Harrisburg, right? A little too far, oh well.

Bookmark   June 8, 2007 at 10:19PM
gbig2(6)

blip, triple m is actually in Lebanon which is east of Harrisburg but still far from Jersey (90 minutes even from Phillipsburg, NJ). Link below. They suggest calling ahead to make sure they have it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Triple M farms

Bookmark   June 9, 2007 at 8:31AM
blip01(7, NJ)

thanks gbig2, that's about 100 miles each way for me. :-( Any good fireworks places out that way, maybe I can combine 2 trips into one.

What's the price from Triple M?

Bookmark   June 11, 2007 at 8:14AM
gbig2(6)

I'm not sure about fireworks. The CGM is $10.75 plus tax for 50 lb bag.

Bookmark   June 11, 2007 at 8:48AM
smitty5952

Actually there is a place between Lebanon and HBG that sells fireworks. Lotus fireworks

Bookmark   June 11, 2007 at 11:19AM
More Discussions
overseeding help !
Hi All, I have a 5000 sft lawn with tall fescue, in...
gmanar
Basic Outline to Follow for Organic Lawn Care
I have made earlier post describing the problems I...
claga
Cornmeal for Brown Patch Disease Works
Hi, I just wanted to share that I had Brown Patch Disease...
bettyfb
High % OM & Compaction/Hydrotropic
My front & back lawn have been 100% organic for...
sc77
Help, switching to organic lawn
So, I aerated and reseeded my bare(dead, dying, weed...
ballerj63
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™