Mushrooms? (not stumps)

kelleynelsonJune 15, 2007

Hi Folks,

My organic lawn has been doing pretty well this season. I applied CGM in late March and have done two apps of SBM; the most recent was about a month ago.

I noticed I had some mushrooms coming up in places, but it made sense to me because I cut down some trees last year and have decomposing stumps underground.

A few weeks later, I am now seeing mushrooms spread throughout the lawn, not just over the old stump locations. They're not taking over by any means, but I haven't seen this many before, and probably none last year. (before I started organic in earnest)

The end of may and beginning of June were very dry, but the last few weeks have been pretty damp.

Another change I made last week was to further raise my cutting height. I am trying 4 inches now instead of 3.5.

The mushrooms are about 1 to 1.5 inches across the head. Are they responding to the SBM? Thankfully my dog doesn't seem to take any interest in them, I don't know if they're poisonous.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
billhill(z5 MI - KBG)

Mushrooms as you described are good. They are the flowering portions of fungus living in your soil, feeding off the organic material there. They are a sign of a healthy soil. If you find them unsightly, just kick them down with your foot or cut them down when you mow. I mulch a lot of leaves into my lawn in the fall and always see a few mushrooms when conditions favor their growth, they dont last long. I think they're cute.

Bookmark   June 15, 2007 at 10:14AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
skoot_cat

Agreed, Mushrooms are a good thing. But, I dont agree with just kick them down with your foot or cut them down when you mow. Why would you do that

I find that a 5 iron or sand wedge is way more effective.

Bookmark   June 15, 2007 at 2:22PM
More Discussions
beneficial nematodes for grubs and cool weather
andyx123
Liquid soil conditioners
Two particular companies have websites that sell liquid...
stan6
Help, switching to organic lawn
So, I aerated and reseeded my bare(dead, dying, weed...
ballerj63
Basic Outline to Follow for Organic Lawn Care
I have made earlier post describing the problems I...
claga
Questions about overseeding
Hi all, soon I will be overseeding my Tall Fescue with...
oberci
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™