Baking Soda & Soil

joyce58(Zone 5 NY)June 9, 2014

Hi....I recently read that thinly applying baking soda inside edged garden beds ( about 6 inches in) changes the PH, and grass / weeds will not grow in those areas....From all I have read this sounds correct.
Are there any negatives to this baking soda application and how often does it need to be done? Will it harm any plants that are close by?
Thanks!
Joyce

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

Baking Soda, Sodium Bicarbonate, is an alkaline substance with a pH of abnout 8.2. Baking Soda will not lower a soils pH. You would need many pounds of Baking Soda to make any significant change to a soils pH.
As a general rule of thumb what is available to organic gardeners to lower a soils pH is sulfur, but how much to use depends on what your soils pH is, how much that pH might need to be lowered, the type of soil you have, how much organic matter is in that soil.
If your soil needs a pH adjustment the best source of information about doing that would be your state universities Cooperative Extension Service. They will be able to tell you what your soils pH is, after a soil test, and what and how much material is needed to lower that pH. As a general rule of thumb it takes about 1 pound of sulfur per one hundred squaer feet of garden to lower the ph 1 point.

Bookmark   June 9, 2014 at 6:02PM
More Discussions
Help, switching to organic lawn
So, I aerated and reseeded my bare(dead, dying, weed...
ballerj63
overseeding help !
Hi All, I have a 5000 sft lawn with tall fescue, in...
gmanar
Thanks for the Great Looking Lawn! :D
Just wanted to say thanks to this group for the advice...
raymondo17
Thatch Problem // Missing Opportunity to Aerate
I live in zone 5b and have approximately 1" of...
claga
creeping charlie chump
OK, once and for all, is there an organic solution...
yardmartyr
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™